Law School Discussion

« on: November 06, 2014, 01:42:53 PM »

Re: Need Advice about unreported plagiarism. Disclose or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
1) Contact professor asap to get the inside scoop.

2) Contact the registrar asap to get the inside scoop.

3) Contact the state bar where she wants to practice in. What are their policies for things like this?

3) If that doesn't work, anonymously contact the law school for the inside scoop.

4) Last resort, I would use your best and honest discretion while erring on the side of caution. A 5 sentence paragraph describing the issue with the grade and the background of the situation while, at the same time, turning it into a positive thing is only going to show class and perseverance. I would be surprised if this would in any real way affect her chances in the long run. It might bump her down if she was right on the cusp of getting accepted, but, realistically, schools are more so concerned about your GPA and LSAT. Those two things = their ranking = amount of students they get = amount of tuition they get. The C&F is more so designed to filter out people that likely wouldn't be able to practice even if they graduated (again, lower employment stats = lower ranking = less students = less $). Further, C&F can show some minor issues in academic performance (will the student even graduate). Given the overall situation, I doubt there will be much of an issue UNLESS...

Unless the info is on the official transcript AND she does not disclose the info. This would likely be met with a big sad face followed by a rejection letter. No gold star.

So... if all options prove fruitless, disclose!

Re: Need Advice about unreported plagiarism. Disclose or not?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 09:02:39 PM »
What about the Bar?

Indeed. The above post pretty much answers the law school portion of your question, but what about the bar? The moral character application (at least here in CA) involves a FAR more thorough background check.

The law schools pretty much take you at your word that you haven't done anything wrong. The bar does not. They will check your records, contact people, and note discrepancies. Also, I seem to remember that some states will ask a catchall question, something like "Is there anything else that you feel you should disclose?"

Remember, the bar will compare your law schools apps and your bar app.

The general rule is disclose, disclose, disclose. The bar can be forgiving of previous mistakes, but not of attempts to cover them up. Actions which indicate dishonesty are taken VERY seriously.

Nor will they have much patience for excuses. Lot's of people have a tough time at home, and yet they manage to get through college without cheating. As a bar applicant you are asking to be entrusted with people's lives and livelihoods, and they want to know that you are mature and honest.

Are you required to disclose? I don't know, check with your state's bar.