Law School Discussion

Good Programs for Law Grads

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
Good Programs for Law Grads
« on: October 25, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
Haven't posted here in several years, but I figure this is the kind of place to ask for opinions and advice.  I'll start with a little background on my situation.

I graduated from law school about 5 years ago and found legal work to be pedantic, boring, and soul crushing.  It's really just not for me at all.  I made the decision to join the military for a number of reasons and have been hiding out here for a few years.  I've deployed overseas, held leadership positions at a low level, and as a result of my service I get to use the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  It makes sense to me to go back to school after my commitment ends because it's free and I can get a fresh start at something else while using my law degree and military experience to give me a leg up from my peers.

The reason I'm posting here is because I really have no idea what kind of program or degree I should be looking at.  I don't want to spend years and years in school, so it would probably be some kind of 2 years masters program, but beyond that I don't know.  The sort of thing I want to get out of this new degree is that the program has lots of connections with companies where I can work internships while in school and that the industry is something that will be relevant for the next few decades with actual job prospects.  I am not trying to get a useless fine arts degree; academia is not my goal.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I guess the really obvious answer would be some kind of Public Policy degree at one of the better DC schools, but does anyone have other ideas?

Re: Good Programs for Law Grads
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 10:58:36 PM »
With your military and law background a good degree might be a Master's of Public Administration, which opens the door to being a City Manager or Assistant City Manager etc.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
I don't think an MPA would be of much use to OP, as he already has a JD. If the sole purpose of the degree is to get student internships and an in somewhere while he applies to general government jobs, then it'd be fine and relevant.

But, IMO, best thing for OP to do would be to pick a more specific skill or field he can study at the Master's level or even Bachelor's that will enhance his overall application. Math, engineering, econ, CS, those fields never go out of style and some would even qualify OP for the patent bar if he decides to practice law.

Also, depends on OP's undergrad.

barprephero

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Free is a shame not to use. I'd do whatever you've always wanted to do FOR FUN (since you are already a lawyer)
Think of stuff that is otherwise useless like pastry chef, fudge it, its FREE and you earned it !

my 2 cents brother