Law School Discussion

Disciplinary action

Disciplinary action
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:08:25 PM »
Hi, I was placed on disciplinary action for sneaking into the pool when it was closed at my college. I was placed on disciplinary probation but was told it would not be put on my record. Do I have to disclose it to law school? If I do will it affect my chances?

Re: Disciplinary action
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:33 PM »
You must disclose all incidents of discipline and whatever else is requested of you, both for your application and later for the bar. There is obviously a record of it somewhere if you were placed on any sort of probation. What they probably meant is it does not show up on your transcripts; however most law schools will require conduct certification from your undergrad.

It will likely not be a problem for admissions as long as you disclose, are honest about the circumstances, and briefly acknowledge you were in the wrong.

barprephero

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 06:30:58 PM »
Yes disclose, but unless you did it naked and ended up a registered sex offender, no one will care UNLESS you fail to disclose I bet

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 10:08:09 PM »
The previous response is exactly right. This isn't a serious offense and isn't likely to have any impact on anyone's decisions. However, failing to disclose it could have serious consequences--and not just for law school admission. Your application will likely be revisited by the character and fitness committee when you apply to the bar.

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
As everyone else said as long as you disclose everything will be fine. If breaking into a closed pool in college, is your worst offense then you have little to worry about.

I knew people with DUI's, battery charges, etc in law school as long as you disclose and do not have a felony conviction, everything should go smoothly.

Good luck on your application process.

barprephero

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »
As everyone else said as long as you disclose everything will be fine. If breaking into a closed pool in college, is your worst offense then you have little to worry about.

I knew people with DUI's, battery charges, etc in law school as long as you disclose and do not have a felony conviction, everything should go smoothly.

Good luck on your application process.
Heck, I knew guys with felonies who are now licensed and practicing and brag openly about it