Law School Discussion

Help with Diversity Statement

Help with Diversity Statement
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:55:46 PM »
New to this so I'm not sure that I'm posting in the right place right now. I just wanted to ask for opinions on the topic of a diversity statement that I may include in my application. Whenever I look up what diversity statements should be based upon, I see race, socioeconomic status, age, sexuality.
I was thinking about writing based on age. I will be applying to law school as a 20 year old, and I recently saw a stat that only 1% of Columbia's last entering class was age 20 or younger. Although I will be newly 21 when I enter law school, that's still young, right? I will finish my undergraduate education in three years, rather than four, and attending law school just after I graduate. I feel like the diversity statement would be a good way to highlight that.
Let me know what you all think! Thanks :)

barprephero

Re: Help with Diversity Statement
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:03:06 PM »
I'd leave age out. Gender is pointless too since men are now a MINORITY of law students (and many other doctorate fields too) Race is still worth mentioning.

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 10:26:31 AM »
I would say age could be a solid topic to talk about, but not really under your circumstances. If you were 12 years old - ok .... if you were over 30 - ok... But being one year less than the expected age is prob not worth it.

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:39:47 AM »
Yeah, I agree with the previous posters. You can write about your age if you want to, but I don't think it will make any difference. Being one year younger than average isn't that unusual.

My understanding is that the only diversity statements that carry significant weight are those associated with URM status. And even then, certain URM groups can benefit more than others (African American, Native American). I'm not even sure that socioeconomic or sexual identity status matters much, either.

All of these are soft factors and with the exception of the above mentioned URM classifications, will pale in comparison to GPA/LSAT profiles. 

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 06:00:46 PM »
Agreed I do not think it necessarily shows diversity by the time you are a 2L you will be the same age as everyone else.

In the law certain things are considered a suspect class with more protections race, gender, etc, but age is NOT one of them.

If you have space for an addendum you can explain you got through undergrad in two years by cramming classes, etc, which might be impressive, but age is not diversity.

Good luck on the law school process, and feel free to use this board there are good posters that offer great insight on this board.