Law School Discussion

Touro College vs. Novus

Re: Touro College vs. Novus
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2014, 02:36:36 PM »
Illegal to use? I think you mean Novus is on the list of diploma mills however obviously that is not criminal or they would be prosecuted since they are not hard to find.

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
The Spike TV lawsuit is PR for Spike Lee - a business expense and is plausible because he is claiming brand confusion.

barprephero

« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2014, 03:42:14 PM »
Illegal to use? I think you mean Novus is on the list of diploma mills however obviously that is not criminal or they would be prosecuted since they are not hard to find.
It varies by state. And it is what it is.
I'll post a link as an example. Don't presume, its a dangerous thing.
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=EF4C3C3B-EB44-4381-6673F760B3946FBB

Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas

Consonant with its responsibilities under Chapter 61 of the Texas Education Code and rules promulgated pursuant thereto, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board annually reviews the institutions included on this list.

"Fraudulent or substandard degree" means a degree conferred in Texas in violation of the Texas Education Code; conferred in another state in violation of that state's laws; conferred in another state by an institution that was not accredited by an accreditor recognized by the Coordinating Board and that has not been approved by the Coordinating Board for its degrees to be used in Texas; or conferred outside the United States by an institution that the Coordinating Board determines is not the equivalent of an accredited or authorized degree. (Texas Educational Code, Chapter 61, Section 61.302)

The Texas Penal Code (Section 32.52) prohibits the use of fraudulent or substandard degrees "in a written or oral advertisement or other promotion of a business; or with the intent to: obtain employment; obtain a license or certificate to practice a trade, profession, or occupation; obtain a promotion, a compensation or other benefit, or an increase in compensation or other benefit, in employment or in the practice of a trade, profession, or occupation; obtain admission to an educational program in this state; or gain a position in government with authority over another person, regardless of whether the actor receives compensation for the position." Violation of this law is a Class B misdemeanor.

barprephero

« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2014, 03:43:22 PM »
The Spike TV lawsuit is PR for Spike Lee - a business expense and is plausible because he is claiming brand confusion.

Bingo

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:24 AM »
It varies by state. And it is what it is.
I'll post a link as an example. Don't presume, its a dangerous thing.
http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/index.cfm?objectid=EF4C3C3B-EB44-4381-6673F760B3946FBB

Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas

Consonant with its responsibilities under Chapter 61 of the Texas Education Code and rules promulgated pursuant thereto, the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board annually reviews the institutions included on this list.

"Fraudulent or substandard degree" means a degree conferred in Texas in violation of the Texas Education Code; conferred in another state in violation of that state's laws; conferred in another state by an institution that was not accredited by an accreditor recognized by the Coordinating Board and that has not been approved by the Coordinating Board for its degrees to be used in Texas; or conferred outside the United States by an institution that the Coordinating Board determines is not the equivalent of an accredited or authorized degree. (Texas Educational Code, Chapter 61, Section 61.302)

The Texas Penal Code (Section 32.52) prohibits the use of fraudulent or substandard degrees "in a written or oral advertisement or other promotion of a business; or with the intent to: obtain employment; obtain a license or certificate to practice a trade, profession, or occupation; obtain a promotion, a compensation or other benefit, or an increase in compensation or other benefit, in employment or in the practice of a trade, profession, or occupation; obtain admission to an educational program in this state; or gain a position in government with authority over another person, regardless of whether the actor receives compensation for the position." Violation of this law is a Class B misdemeanor.

Wow, great catch.  Someone should drop Texas a line on Novus Law School.  It already has Novus University on sh_t list.

barprephero

« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »
I don't think they have the authority to go after Novus since its not in Texas. Texas used to have DETC schools on that list too (I'm told) until they figured out that the US Dept of Education approved them. I think some of the schools still on that list are state approved unaccredited ones from out of state.

Basically, its only illegal if you have them and use them in Texas as far as Texas is concerned. I could see Texas filing a similar law suit since Novus is creating the problem for them by producing the degrees. My guess is they just don't the time or resources to bother with that. If you volunteered to do it probono I bet they'd consider it though. It would get your name in print.

« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
NOVUS GAINS LEGAL VICTORY OVER TOURO
COMPLAINT ALLEGING NOVUS DEGREES WORTHLESS DISMISSED WITH PREJUDICE

In a decision issued September 17, the Supreme Court of the State of New York handed Novus University a complete legal victory over Touro Law School, dismissing in its entirety Touro’s lawsuit against Novus which falsely alleged that degrees conferred by Novus University Law School were in some way not valid or worthless. The court ruled that “Touro failed to set forth a justiciable controversy” and “dismissed [Touro’s] complaint in its entirety,” and with prejudice.

Touro filed suit against Novus in October 2013. The Supreme Court of New York’s decision now fully resolves the action in Novus’ favor.

Note the following NY-State Court info for the Touro suit information: http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/AdvSearch_D.jsp?Criteria=Novus&Submit4=Search

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2015, 10:51:05 AM »
They won their lawsuit good for them if the case was dismissed with prejudiced NOVUS couldn't ask for a better result.

I don't care enough to look up the merits of the case, but if a school wants to offer a degree let them.  Novus does not claim to be ABA approved or approval of any state bar that I know of.  Therefore, I wouldn't recommend the school from what I know, but people can choose to enter a law school that is not approved as long as the school informs them of that fact.

If a school is bragging about winning lawsuits against its legitimacy I think that shows the school is not an ideal place, but they should allowed to keep their doors open.

If NOVUS starts claiming it has ABA approval and completely misleading people that is another story, but it doesn't do that from what I know.

A list of practicing attorneys from NOVUS would be interesting to see.

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2015, 07:23:03 PM »
If a SCHOOL wants to offer a degree let them.....

A list of practicing attorneys from NOVUS would be interesting to see.

They aren't a school is the issue

agreed on the last part though

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2015, 09:07:13 PM »
It would be a very short list of zero since the Novus degree would not qualify anyone to take a bar so if by some miracle a Novus grad ever did the pass a bar, the Novus degree would not be the qualifying reason but some other qualification.