barprephero

Re: Touro College vs. Novus
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2014, 05:41:30 PM »
Usually, works like this:

1.  Answer
2. Discovery
3.  Summary Judgment Motions if any
4.  Trial or Settlement
right................................. How does that change what I said?
Are you trying to say that the Plaintiff is taking their sweat time on moving forward?

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »
No way to tell, could be bogged down in discovery or negotiations or just as you say.

barprephero

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2014, 07:27:30 PM »
No way to tell, could be bogged down in discovery or negotiations or just as you say.
Time will tell I guess. I personally don't think their case has enough to win anyways. I think it would likely survive an action against them for summary judgement, but I'd still expect any place with money to move for it. Novus I suspect is just hoping it all goes away on its own if they ignore it long enough (and it just might do just that too)

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 07:39:40 AM »
Somebody please post a link to the physical complaint so we can read it.  Thank you.

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 03:46:10 PM »
Here is the link to the New York County Supreme Court and all documents associated with the Touro Vs. Novus case:

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=vTwzsNTZ1XrDSxjCt/y_PLUS_oA==&display=all&courtType=New%20York%20County%20Supreme%20Court

One hilarious note is that the owner of Novus is using attorney Armando LLorens of Furgang & Adwar, LLP. A little research shows Mr. LLorens graduated from Brown University and Columbia University Law School. Both schools have the proper accreditation.  Nowhere did the court paperwork reference that she is using a Novus University Law School graduate for legal guidance or representation.

So instead of using a Novus University Graduate to defend the legitimacy of Novus Law School, she is using a properly accredited attorney that graduated from a properly accredited school to prove that her “Law School” is not a diploma mill.  Must not have much faith in a single graduate from Novus.  Is that admission by default??

barprephero

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2014, 04:56:19 PM »
Here is the link to the New York County Supreme Court and all documents associated with the Touro Vs. Novus case:

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/nyscef/DocumentList?docketId=vTwzsNTZ1XrDSxjCt/y_PLUS_oA==&display=all&courtType=New%20York%20County%20Supreme%20Court

One hilarious note is that the owner of Novus is using attorney Armando LLorens of Furgang & Adwar, LLP. A little research shows Mr. LLorens graduated from Brown University and Columbia University Law School. Both schools have the proper accreditation.  Nowhere did the court paperwork reference that she is using a Novus University Law School graduate for legal guidance or representation.

So instead of using a Novus University Graduate to defend the legitimacy of Novus Law School, she is using a properly accredited attorney that graduated from a properly accredited school to prove that her “Law School” is not a diploma mill.  Must not have much faith in a single graduate from Novus.  Is that admission by default??
I don't find that ironic at all. Novus grads aren't licensed to practice in that state.

« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2014, 05:14:00 PM »
Actually I am surprised Novus even answered - 50/50 the judge would not have granted the relief requested on default or what effect if any it would have on Novus.

barprephero

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2014, 08:15:11 PM »
Actually I am surprised Novus even answered - 50/50 the judge would not have granted the relief requested on default or what effect if any it would have on Novus.
Yeah, but then the other party could move for summary judgment against Novus. With burden of proof being on plaintiff, I'd respond if I was Defendant too, but I would make it as dry toast as possible.

« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2014, 01:10:31 AM »
So does anybody know of an American university that recognizes Novus as an foreign law school? Some schools must be accepting these students. Which ones accept Novus? 

« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2014, 07:23:48 AM »
Novus is not recognized by anyone; it is not a foreign law school.  It is an offshore corp. which operates out of California.  it has no lawyers associated with it. Its students have tried to fraud their way into LLM programs which is why Touro sued.  Even if a Novus student got into a program by bluffing their way in, I doubt they would succeed. Novus is incorporated in the Marshall islands and its graduates do not qualify for the Marshall Islands bar - end of story.

http://www.marshallislandslawfirm.com/#!Marshall-Islands-Attorneys-Who-Can-Practice-in-the-Courts-of-the-Marshall-Islands/c1ohp/300D7720-B2C3-4993-BAD3-79939473F89F

However, I do appreciate a good scam and Novus has had a long run.  They made a good call that state regulators are too lazy to pursue them.  Touro got sued by one of the Novus students and that is why Touro took the lawsuit out against Novus.