Law School Discussion

Touro College vs. Novus

Re: Touro College vs. Novus
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2014, 02:26:33 PM »
FreshlyMinted, I can't decide whether you truly don't understand what we wrote or you are a very good, subtle troll. I'm hoping for the latter for you personally, even though it wouldn't be great for the board.

Yes, that would be a real online LLM from England.  It does not require a previous law degree. However, unlike their LLB, I don't see how it qualifies one to be a solicitor or attorney.

The courses deal with specialized areas of the law, not basic law.

However, it does look like a great alternative to say a regionally accredited  Masters in Legal Studies from Kaplan University.

But unless bar admission committees are bone stupid, it won't get  anyone a bar ticket.

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 02:32:42 PM »
What I mean is that an LL.M program does not teach the skills required to be a good lawyer. They assume that you learned those skills in your JD program. LL.M programs are more like a standard master's.

Therefore, someone who doesn't learn that stuff in a real law school but does get an LL.M (and perhaps a ticket to the bar exam), is seriously lacking IMHO.

And yes, for the purposes of this discussion I assuming that most people with a non-bar qualifying JD enroll in a bar-qualifying LL.M program in order to take the bar.

That LLM won't get anyone a bar ticket. A US LLM specifically geared to foreign attorneys might along with the right credentials. On the other hand if one were wanting to go into a human rights career, it's not a bad degree at all.

However, instead of going offshore for an online degree, the reasonable thing to do is enroll at Taft or Concord and take the First Year Law Exam.  I have worked with at least two other Taft graduates who have been practicing in difficult areas of the law.

barprephero

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »
FreshlyMinted, I can't decide whether you truly don't understand what we wrote or you are a very good, subtle troll. I'm hoping for the latter for you personally, even though it wouldn't be great for the board.
Trolling for what? What part do you think I have wrong. I have been spot on, sorry that I have a mind of my own. I stand by what I said.

barprephero

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 08:57:02 PM »
What I mean is that an LL.M program does not teach the skills required to be a good lawyer. They assume that you learned those skills in your JD program. LL.M programs are more like a standard master's.

Therefore, someone who doesn't learn that stuff in a real law school but does get an LL.M (and perhaps a ticket to the bar exam), is seriously lacking IMHO.

And yes, for the purposes of this discussion I assuming that most people with a non-bar qualifying JD enroll in a bar-qualifying LL.M program in order to take the bar.
Your assumption would be wrong then. Factor in that most LLM don't allow that unless you are already licensed in your home jurisdiction.
As for someone who is licensed without a JD, I say let them sit the LLM anyways. Even if they lack a GED, who cares. They are lawyers and have more real world experience to add to the class room than the jointly enrolled JD/LLM students who ALSO lack a JD. If already having the JD was so vital, the dual enrolled would all need to be shutdown too. Factor that in as well.

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »
Trolling for what? What part do you think I have wrong. I have been spot on, sorry that I have a mind of my own. I stand by what I said.

Anyone who is something, and is something essentially, possesses "eo ipso," the claim to be recognized for exactly this special thing, and for nothing more or less.  Søren Kierkegaard

barprephero

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 07:42:19 PM »

Yes, that would be a real online LLM from England.  It does not require a previous law degree. However, unlike their LLB, I don't see how it qualifies one to be a solicitor or attorney.

The courses deal with specialized areas of the law, not basic law.

However, it does look like a great alternative to say a regionally accredited  Masters in Legal Studies from Kaplan University.

But unless bar admission committees are bone stupid, it won't get  anyone a bar ticket.
I like the way you worded this. Most people with Novus going for an LLM would be in the same boat anyways. They are either already licensed on their own or not going to get licensed. The MSL is offered at many schools that lets you take classes alongside JD's and LLM's but for a different degree. I think people like the LLM ring though.
http://www.law.yale.edu/graduate/MSL_program.htm
and in theory could go onto other degrees even beyond that without a JD
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/5653.htm
Heck those can even legally call themselves "Doctor" and just "esq" like we do

barprephero

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
An accredited alternative to Novus might be an EJD. At least that is regionally accredited
http://www.concordlawschool.edu/Executive_Juris_Doctor.aspx

and no doubt they'd still let the grads into their LLM
http://www.smallbusinessllm.com/

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2014, 07:47:34 AM »
Nothing filed in the lawsuit since last March when Novus did a general denial.

barprephero

« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
Nothing filed in the lawsuit since last March when Novus did a general denial.
That's all I'd do too if I were the defendant. Burden of proof is on the plaintiff. I wouldn't give them anything to work with at all unless I had to.

« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2014, 04:47:37 PM »
Usually, works like this:

1.  Answer
2. Discovery
3.  Summary Judgment Motions if any
4.  Trial or Settlement