Law School Discussion

Touro College vs. Novus

Touro College vs. Novus
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:34:18 PM »

Re: Touro College vs. Novus
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:39:18 PM »
Novus answered with a general denial March 12, 2014, nothing since:

http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/iscroll/SQLData.jsp?IndexNo=159319-2013&Submit2=Search

barprephero

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:04:40 PM »
This seems weak standing to me. People "often apply", so what?

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 08:38:56 AM »
It is a class action seeking a declaratory ruling that Novus degrees are worthless. Touro alleges Novus is deceiving both students and other law programs by claiming it is a "law school."  Graduates of Novus tried to get admitted to Touro and then apparently tried to force their admission as graduates of a foreign law school. I think the lawsuit has merit because practice of law and law schools are a regulated category.  Here you have what appears to be non attorneys instructing by email and multiple choice.

Touro is doing everyone a great service; on the other hand the state bars, in particular California where Novus seems to be based, seems to be remiss in its duties to protect the public and legitimate online law schools from an alleged scam.

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »
Just curious, how did Touro establish standing? Because former Novus students applied to Touro? I can see how the former students would meet the requirements for class certification, but not Touro.

Either way, good fr them. I hope they win and that the state bars crack down on this nonsense.   

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 11:30:42 AM »
The complaint said a Novus grad launched a frivolous lawsuit against Touro, when Touro would not honor their bogus degree.  So Touro had to pay legal fees because Novus was falsely telling grads they had a "foreign law degree" and all they had to do is enroll for a LLM to qualify for the bar.

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:15 PM »
The complaint said a Novus grad launched a frivolous lawsuit against Touro, when Touro would not honor their bogus degree.  So Touro had to pay legal fees because Novus was falsely telling grads they had a "foreign law degree" and all they had to do is enroll for a LLM to qualify for the bar.

Clearly, this demonstrates the ABA needs to approve more schools!

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 12:23:15 PM »

Clearly, this demonstrates the ABA needs to approve more schools!

LOL. Tells me the state bars are not doing their jobs.  According to the lawsuit, Novus operates in California.

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »
Hmm, what action would you recommend the state bars take? The State Bar of California is not an accreditation or business licensing agency so they can't order a business to shut down. All they can do is "inform you that Novus Law School does not have degree-granting authority from any recognized U.S. educational entity," as you noted in the other thread (http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/index.php?topic=4028640.0).

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:46:41 PM »
In CA the state bar can and does accredit law schools, but this is inapplicable to Novus since they have not (to the best of my knowledge) sought CA accreditation. It seems like the only power the bar has is to threaten accredited law schools with a revocation of accreditation. But if you're not accredited anyway...

The State Attorney General is probably the one who has the real authority here. Considering that Kamala Harris doesn't seem interested in anything except becoming governor, I doubt if anything will happen.