Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: URM 2.12 Gpa Psych Major and 165 Lsat Chances  (Read 831 times)

livekhaos

• View Profile
URM 2.12 Gpa Psych Major and 165 Lsat Chances
« on: August 14, 2014, 07:23:31 PM »
Hello, first I'd like to thank everyone for your answers in advance. I'm currently a non-traditional Hispanic senior that is 28 years old. I've tested out of most of the requirements for my Psychology degree by taking CLEP exams and other CBE's (credit by exam) thus the low GPA coupled with 2 F's from 9 years ago. I've only completed 6 classes that I received a letter grade for, this is the only reason I have a low GPA (which maybe I can explain in my PS). The rest of my classes are ALL pass/fail.

I have one last semester left so I can take a few more classes (my degree cannot endure many more) but it's not going to drastically improve my gpa. I've scored a 165 in the lsat. I'm not interested in going to top tier school, because, in all honesty I'm purely interested in going into private practice. I already have a good friend that will give me an internship at his law firm to gain experience before I go out on my own.

I've been a private business owner for the last 7 years and currently own 2 businesses. In my first business I'm a bail bondsman (we're very professional by the way) and have a great deal of hours in court observation and dealing with the criminal system from the Jail to Attorney's (private, PD and SAO), to Judges. I'm ready to give up the bail bonds business completely and sell. In my other business I own a private investment firm with a few employees.

My question is, what are my chances at getting accepted to several programs (do not have to be top tier) with my current GPA, Lsat, strong LOR's, great PS and work experience?

FreshlyMinted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: URM 2.12 Gpa Psych Major and 165 Lsat Chances
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 07:54:20 PM »
Your GPA is why I tell freshman who want to go to lawschool to NOT take hard classes like psych but blow off liberal arts junk to keep a 4.0
That GPA is still a FULL SCHOLARSHIP at places like Cooley, but likely the GPA would keep you out of anything beyond state law schools.

livekhaos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »
Your GPA is why I tell freshman who want to go to lawschool to NOT take hard classes like psych but blow off liberal arts junk to keep a 4.0
That GPA is still a FULL SCHOLARSHIP at places like Cooley, but likely the GPA would keep you out of anything beyond state law schools.

Thank you NM. The F's weren't in any Psych related class, I actually perform very well in these classes. They were in Anatomy & Physio W/Lab...had to drop out due to multiple deaths in Family.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 10:31:12 PM »
You're a splitter, and that makes it more difficult to predict where you will or won't get into. That said, there are definitely law schools that will accept someone with your numbers based on your LSAT score.

You should narrow it down to a geographic region, specifically the state/city you plan to practice in. If you can score a scholarship, great, although it will be difficult with a 2.12 GPA (except at a few places like Cooley as Newly Minted mentioned).

I've only completed 6 classes that I received a letter grade for, this is the only reason I have a low GPA (which maybe I can explain in my PS). The rest of my classes are ALL pass/fail.

Just curious, was your undergrad at a traditional four year university? It's just that I've never heard of a program where almost all of the classes are pass/fail. That's very unusual.

You can definitely explain it in your PS, but it probably won't make much difference. Your GPA is what it is, and it's very low for the purposes of law school admission. Your best bet is to apply to schools for which your LSAT score is above average.

One last thing (and don't take this the wrong way): make sure that whatever obstacles resulted in a low undergrad GPA are resolved before you begin law school. Law makes undergrad look like a joke. It's very, very demanding and you won't get a passing grade just by showing up.

Your LSAT score indicates that you have the brains to succeed, but law school requires a huge investment of time and self-discipline. Something to think about before you write a check for $100K.

livekhaos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 10:25:14 AM »
@Maintain

Thank you for your response. No offense taken. I actually attend Excelsior College in New York. It's a Regionally Accred school that let's you test out of most of your degree requirements. Very similar to Thomas Edison State College in NJ and Charter Oak State College in CT. These schools are called the "Big 3". They all offer solid online programs.

I'd like to think that I have a great deal of self-discipline when I want/need to as a majority of my degree is from self-taught coursework.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »
I'm familiar with those schools, they're among the oldest and best established distance learning programs.
If you plan to remain in NY/NJ you could look at CUNY, NYLS, Touro, St. John's, maybe Seton Hall and Rutgers. As a splitter, you might want to apply to lots of schools and just see what happens. Like I said before, it's harder to predict.

Good Luck!

livekhaos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:00:36 PM »
I'm familiar with those schools, they're among the oldest and best established distance learning programs.
If you plan to remain in NY/NJ you could look at CUNY, NYLS, Touro, St. John's, maybe Seton Hall and Rutgers. As a splitter, you might want to apply to lots of schools and just see what happens. Like I said before, it's harder to predict.

Good Luck!

Thank you Maintain. I appreciate all of your words.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 07:05:36 AM »
I think the toughest part is not just your GPA but your lack of courses for credit. Whether unfair or not, the credit by exam does not reflect academic learning and there can be a certain lack of rigor associated with credit/no credit courses.

As others have said, you are a splitter, but this is complicated by the fact that so few courses for credit doesn't really tell much of a story in terms of academic history.

Provided you meet the requirements, you will likely be admitted to an ABA program with that LSAT score, but I'd definitely focus on discussing your businesses in your application. From an admissions perspective, other than your LSAT, that is the strongest component of your application. As you noted, you are a little older than some, so this would fit in well with that profile.

Good luck!

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 10:48:18 AM »
If you scored a 165 on the LSAT you will have options at a number of schools. Check out lawschoolnumbers.com

In addition the location you want to attend school will make a difference. ABA schools in California are often more difficult to get into, because more people are seeking to live in California. If you want to attend North Dakota the admission standards are lower.

If your still in undergrad you may want to sign up for any easy elective classes you have to boost your GPA a bit. Maybe a P.E. class or Sports in film etc just to knock it up a few points. 

Can you get into an ABA law school with your numbers? Yes.

I encourage you to checkout lawschoolnumbers.com and look at the schools you are interested in to see what your options are.

Good luck.