Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Baylor Law Prospective Student!  (Read 373 times)

Camo2015

• View Profile
Baylor Law Prospective Student!
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:58:26 PM »
Hey all was just wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight on what my chances are getting into Baylor Law with a 161 lsat (159 was my lowest but they take the highest) and a 3.99 GPA. I was pretty disappointed with my lsat scores because I know I can do better and may even take it a third time for scholarship reasons. I'm contracted with the Army in ROTC at Texas A&M University and have a lot of leadership experiences and what not because of it. I plan on getting my application in by the early admission dead line this coming November. Any insight on where I stand along with any advice would be awesome. Thanks yall.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Baylor Law Prospective Student!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:10:06 PM »
I'd imagine with a 161 and a 3.99 you won't have much trouble getting in. Add to that an army background and work experience... Just make sure your there are no fatal errors in your essays/application (i.e. bad typos).

for reference, check out...

http://baylor.lawschoolnumbers.com

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-content/uploads/Law-School-Predictor-Full-Time-Programs.htm

Good Luck!

I.M.D.Law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 09:37:47 PM »
What's your MOS Sir? You plan to transfer to JAG after the JD?

Camo2015

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:47 PM »
@Miami88 Thank you for that website! Definitely gives me an idea and makes me feel better. You're definitely right about the application part I'm researching into all of that now.
@NewlyMinted Yes sir I plan to go JAG. I'm currently working on obtaining an education delay with the Army which will give me the go ahead for law school. I do not have an MOS like many of my buddies since I took the Army scholarship route, which is basically a fast track to becoming an officer.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 11:22:39 AM »
Take a look at LSAC's Official Guide to U.S. Law Schools. They have grids which show how many applied within a certain GPA/LSAT rang and how many were accepted. It looks like with numbers similar to yours almost all were accepted.

Also consider using your numbers for a full scholarship somewhere else if necessary. Or maybe the Army covers it? 

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »
161 LSAT and 3.99 GPA are solid.

Remember 161 LSAT puts you in the top 20% of LSAT Test takers, which is not a stupid group. Anyone taking the LSAT is a college graduate that is motivated enough to attend law school and has the fortitude to actually take the test.

As you go down the law school path realize there is a 90% chance you will not be in the top 10% of your class and a 99% chance you will not be in the top 1%. Everyone in law school is smart, hard-working, motivated, with solid backgrounds similar to yours. Everyone on the first day really believes they will be number one just as everyone thinks they can do better on the LSAT. However, if everyone could score 175-180 on the LSAT getting into Harvard would not be much of an accomplishment.

Again, you have some impressive credentials and there is a strong likelihood you  can get into Baylor. If your goal is to go into JAG you can certainly accomplish that from any school with your prior military experience and a J.D.

Good luck as you pursue a legal education.