Law School Discussion

Student discipline problems

Student discipline problems
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
I'm an undergrad junior.  Today, I was put on probation by my university for playing a prank on a friend involving a fake arrest warrant. Dumb prank, I know, I know. I am mortified at how stupid this was, but it was funny at the time. The friend freaked out and tried to turn himself in, and now I'm here.

How bad is this for me as far as law school admissions & the bar?  I'm sure it's not good, but how bad is it?

Re: Student discipline problems
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 10:15:29 PM »
Probably not that big of deal. Stupid yes, but plenty of lawyers got DUI's or arrested etc.

Don't do it again and you will have to disclose the incident in applications and to the bar when you apply, but as long as you don't try to hide it you should be fine. Plenty of my law school classmates who are now practicing lawyers did a lot worse things and our licensed, but use better judgment moving forward.

Really the only way this is likely to hurt you is if when asked you fail to disclose.

Sorry to hear about the incident and hopefully you learned from your mistake.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:39 AM »
I agree with Citylaw, I don't think it's a big deal unless you fail to disclose it. Your applications to law school and the bar will ask about disciplinary actions and it's important to fully disclose everything.

I don't think this will have any impact on law school admissions, but the bar may require a more detailed explanation. They will probably require you to submit all paperwork associated with the action, so make sure you are 100% honest in your explanation. In law school you will learn that the bar is pretty forgiving, but they take even a hint of dishonesty very seriously. 

barprephero

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:11:54 PM »
I agree disclose.

That being said..........I gotta know more. HOW did you "prank" the friend. Details man!