Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Mediocre diagnostic test...now what?  (Read 459 times)

Comfortably Numb

• View Profile
Mediocre diagnostic test...now what?
« on: August 03, 2014, 09:38:21 AM »
So I'm planning on taking the December LSAT, and I feel optimistic that I have enough time to do well. But after taking a free practice test, I know I need to start studying hard and the sooner the better. I scored a 141 (LG=15 LR1=8 RC=8 LR2=12). I looked at some other forum posts about what materials people recommend, but I guess I really want to know what most people do once they start studying, how much they study/week, and what resources are most effective/efficient. I'm worried that the fall semester will eat up a lot of my time so I need something efficient, but of course something that will raise my score up quite a bit. Please let me know if anyone has some insight here, thanks!

p.s. I'm new to the forums so sorry if this has been answered a million times!

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Mediocre diagnostic test...now what?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:54:16 AM »
I'd say don't overthink it. Just take the LSAT and go from there. Worst Case Scenario you took an extra test you don't need.

Comfortably Numb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 11:32:10 AM »
Thanks for the response, and you're probably right, I am overthinking this too much. I guess I just don't know where to start or what materials/courses are best to use. Any tips or suggestions?

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 02:10:27 PM »
Thanks for the response, and you're probably right, I am overthinking this too much. I guess I just don't know where to start or what materials/courses are best to use. Any tips or suggestions?
Its a proven fact that those who do prep do better. I knew a lot of people who were happy with Kaplan but I bet there is a cheaper one if you want to do it strictly online. I'd just google search it until you find a good one.
Also, there are forums that are LSAT prep specific. I bet those would be a good recourse too (again, can't think of a link, but google if full of them)

It's ok to sit it raw too. Your score might not be as good as you had hoped, but you can always retake later. I saw that since many who prep keep pushing back the actual date to sit it or cancel the score out of fear of it being law BUT most schools take the higher score (so no punishment for say getting a 140 due to being sick and then later getting a 170 when not vomiting)  I know far too many people who were above me in undergrad who are now still in the lsat game. Don't be that guy. Just see how you do.

Also consider the GMAT and GRE. You may find out that you are qualified to get a scholarship in other fields that interest you too. "A wise man explores ALL options".

Comfortably Numb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
Thanks NewlyMinted! I'll definitely research what is on google. I never really considered taking the LSAT as a potential trial run so that definitely takes the anxiety off of December. I appreciate the advice!

Comfortably Numb

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 06:32:08 PM »
No offense to you NewlyMinted, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and your advice was helpful, but I thought about it, and I don't want to go into the December LSAT blind. Could anyone please help me come up with a good study plan between now and December. What worked especially well for you?

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 10:08:18 PM »
No offense to you NewlyMinted, I really do appreciate you taking the time to respond to me and your advice was helpful, but I thought about it, and I don't want to go into the December LSAT blind. Could anyone please help me come up with a good study plan between now and December. What worked especially well for you?
I should have worded it better. Prep if you can, but don't be too scared to sit it if you feel 'unprepared' when the time comes. When in doubt take Kaplan.

Comfortably Numb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 10:17:14 PM »
Sorry for the misunderstanding, that makes more sense, I'll definitely check it out. Thanks again!

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 10:58:48 AM »
If you got a diagnostic of 141 odds are if you do all the prep right you are probably capable of getting a 155-160, which will get you into a number of ABA schools. Something I see many incoming law students and incoming med students do is flip out about the LSAT/MCAT and expect to obtain near perfect scores. This however, is very unlikely and odds are you will not go to Harvard, Yale, Stanford law school. That does not mean you cannot have a successful legal career attending a law school that 98% of other practicing lawyers attended.

As for prep you can obtain materials from LSAC and order the old tests.  Do as many practice questions as possible under strict time conditions. Practice makes perfect, but it will take a lot of time and effort to do 20-30 full length practice tests, but it is certainly doable.

As an additional FYI I do not believe any schools average the LSAT anymore so you can retake the LSAT if you do not do well without any consequence. Schools only have to report their highest LSAT so that is typically what they will do. A few schools might have exceptions, but I believe the vast majority of schools do not average the LSAT.

Continue doing well in undergrad and maybe get a few filler classes to get some free A's to boost your GPA, take the LSAT, then attend an LSAC forum to get admission waivers and talk to school representatives. Then start applying once your acceptances come in start reviewing this is a good article explaining how to choose a law school. http://www.legalmatch.com/choose-the-right-law-school.html

Comfortably Numb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 12:14:20 PM »
Sounds like a good strategy. I feel much more at ease with the whole process, it was definitely overwhelming me. Thanks CityLaw!