Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Studying for the Logic Games on a budget  (Read 264 times)

Odyssey

• View Profile
    • Free Logic Games Course
Studying for the Logic Games on a budget
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:23:14 PM »
Hey guys, Hope you find this LG budget study plan effective!

Remember to always review your work before moving on to the next game.

(1 day)
The first thing that you need to do when studying is to take a timed Diagnostic. Don't let your first score shatter your ego, it's only a starting point and in my experience almost everyone can increase their score by 20 points from their first diagnostic. Taking one will help you understand where you're at and will help shape your path forward. The LSAC has the Free June 2007 practice test available: June 2007 exam from LSAC (Free).

(2-3 months)
Next you need to subscribe to a Logic Games methodology. This is the most important decision that you make. It's unrealistic for you to create your own methodology from scratch in a timely manner and the next steps rely on having a solid foundation of Logic Games Methodology. Of course I recommend using Odyssey and we have a free online logic games course available: Odyssey Online Logic Games Course (Free)
But if you prefer a book then I would recommend the Powerscore LG Bible: Powerscore LG Bible ($40)

You'll need scores of REAL LSAT questions to perfect the methods that you learn. Once you learn the techniques to conquer a Game Type then you need to practice that Game Type using roughly a dozen games that are similar. If you're using the Odyssey logic games course then we've laid out exactly which games from which test should be completed as homework after each lesson. This will allow you to purchase books of 10 preptests from the LSAC: LSAC books of 10 preptests ($20 each). If you are using the Powerscore LG Bible then the EveryLSAT drilling sets are key: EveryLSAT drilling sets ($2.50 each). This way you can buy a bunch of games of a particular type and drill them directly after completing a chapter. You must review every game once you complete it and make sure that you've found every deduction and not spot. It isn't as important that you got the questions correct (at the beginning) as it is important that you are setting up each game correctly.

The first half of your studying should be dedicated to learning the material and mastering the concepts NOT timing. Once you know what you're doing, then you can start working on doing it faster. If you try to run before you can walk you won't have success. About halfway through your studying you should start to transition into timing techniques. You should start by just keeping track of the time it takes you to complete each game/section and try to move a little faster than the last game/section you completed (like 30 second faster). Keep trying to be a little faster than your last one and you'll find that you'll start to complete the sections in time without losing your accuracy. Once you start to feel confident in your timing then start to put a countdown clock on yourself and up the pressure.  35 minutes per section or 8:45 per game should be the benchmarks.

(1-2 months)
Once you've mastered timing then it's time to move into full practice tests. During the steps outlined above you should be using PrepTests 1-55, saving 56-present for full timed practice tests. Once you start taking full practice tests you should review every mistake that you make and correct it before moving on to the next practice test.

Good Luck!

LSAT Blog

• View Profile
    • LSAT Blog
Re: Studying for the Logic Games on a budget
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »
Great plan! However, in my experience as a tutor, taking a diagnostic is simply discouraging. Everyone needs to learn the same material anyway. If you're weaker in a particular area, you'll discover that going forward, and you'll spend more time on it. If you're stronger in a particular area, you'll learn that, too, and you'll spend less time on it.

Just wanted to mention another resource for Logic Games. I've made free video explanations for nearly 200 LSAT Logic Games, and they're all available for free on YouTube, forever.

Those of you who are studying, please let me know if you have any questions about how to master Logic Games. I'm happy to help however I can.

Odyssey

• View Profile
    • Free Logic Games Course
Re: Studying for the Logic Games on a budget
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:15 PM »
Thanks for the positive response! My students typically like to get familiar with test before studying plus they get the added satisfaction of knowing how much they've improved.

Free explanations on YouTube are great, and it's amazing that you've taken the time to complete so many of them!  However the focus for students needs to be on a logic games methodology and not just explanations for individual games.