Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Finding the "Perfect Fit"  (Read 429 times)

cjp242011

• View Profile
    • Email
Finding the "Perfect Fit"
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:41:56 PM »
Ok, so this will be my first post as a member! I'm excited to begin my journey through law school and hope I can pick the perfect place.

I'm an undergrad Psychology (B.S) and Criminology double major. I go to The Ohio State University. My GPA is a little lower than I would like (3.0 currently), but I plan on having an addendum to explain one year. My LSAT was in the 80th percentile (160). I prefer somewhere nice and warm that is dog friendly. Where do you guys suggest I should look into? I don't care how unrealistic it is to get in, haha, I just want your thoughts on schools in warm weather, dog friendly and a respectable law school!

No, my law school choice will not depend on whether the area is dog friendly or not, but if two law schools are similar IMO, I will definitely go for the one that is pet friendly!

I guess my question is: what schools are pet friendly?!?!

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the "Perfect Fit"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:03:54 PM »
Can't resist...

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:48 PM »
In all seriousness, your law school decision should be based on where you want to live. This is especially the case given your GPA and LSAT. The schools you are looking at are going to be more regional than national. This means that where you go to school is more than likely where you will be working afterwards. If living in a warmer climate is a must for you post law school, then you should definitely look for school there.

In Florida you are looking at UMiami, FIU, UF, FSU and a few others. Your LSAT is great, but your GPA makes you a splitter.. someone who has a LSAT above a school's median but GPA below the school's median. There are other schools like St. Thomas, Nova, and Ave Maria that would probably offer you a lot of $$ to get you (they will look at you as a way to boost their LSAT avg.)

Any specific questions?

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
Miami's post is right on point.

Attend law school where you want to live and remember that any ABA school is respectable do not get to caught up in the rankings. If you want a dog-friendly, warm, city then I recommend a number of California law schools and probably L.A. or San Diego would be best.

With a 160/3.0 you could probably get scholarships at Chapman or Southwestern in L.A. or Thomas Jefferson and California Western in San Diego.

Good luck on your journey and congrats on your solid LSAT score.

CA Law Dean

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
I highly recommend that you spend time researching law schools on Law School Transparency. www.lawschooltransparency.com. I strongly support the "where you want to live/work" selection theo ry. However the quality of living and working as a new lawyer will be dramatically influenced by JD cost/JD loan/available job factors. LST is the best source for comparing law schools on these factors.
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 09:22:10 PM »
It might be a little colder, but San Francisco is still nice most of the year.

You might have a shot at UC Hastings if in-state and USF is a possibility.