Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: When Should I Take the LSAT?  (Read 855 times)

silverdoe91

• View Profile
Re: When Should I Take the LSAT?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 07:42:55 PM »
It may be possible to get a 170+, but as you said it takes a ton of work. So does having 6 pack abs, learning a language, etc all of us are capable of doing all of these things, but we often do not accomplish it. I have known many people in my life that were studying for the LSAT and continually put it off for years waiting for everything to be perfect. Years passed and they never took the LSAT or attended law school. I took the LSAT and did not score a 170, but I was accepted into an ABA law school; passed the bar; and love my job as an attorney.

You love your job as an attorney? That is sincerely the first time I've heard that, in a really long time. So far everyone I've met working in law offices absolutely despises their job. And then there's all those statistics about how depressed lawyers are, and their astonishingly high suicide rates. I would love to hear a differing opinion on this matter. Would it be alright if I PM'd you? I'd like to find out more about the satisfying aspects of having a legal career.

I.M.D.Law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 07:56:20 PM »
Lawyers complain, Doctors commit suicide

factor that in too

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 01:47:54 AM »
Silverdoe absolutely e-mail plenty of lawyers love their job, but most of them don't anonymously post on the internet, but with my law degree I was also able to get a side job, which allows me to get paid for writing on this board and others.

However, I love my job as a City Attorney I get to do a lot of very exciting things and I am happy to explain all the great things you can do with a J.D.

silverdoe91

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
I think it is also important to note that I am currently working full-time, so if I were to take the Septemeber LSAT and devote all my time to studying so that I could increase my score, that would require me to quit my job.

It is a temp job that is supposed to last eight months. I don't particularly like it, but I figure once this job is over (I have about four more months left) I will be free to take the LSAT in June, and devote all my time to studying for it. However, would mean waiting another year before I even applied to law school. I don't want to wait that long, but then again, I don't want to rush into things either.

silverdoe91

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 11:17:08 AM »
If it weren't for this job, I would have, of course, started studying a long time ago. I was originally planning to take the June LSAT, because it would give me more leeway in terms of preparing for the exam, and retaking it if need be, plus organizing my applications for law school. But I had it put it on hold when I got this job, because I wanted to save up some money to do this in the first place. Now that I have enough money to do this, I am wondering if it's too late for me to start studying now. (If it is too late, quitting my job would be pointless.)

I.M.D.Law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 07:31:25 PM »
If it weren't for this job, I would have, of course, started studying a long time ago. I was originally planning to take the June LSAT, because it would give me more leeway in terms of preparing for the exam, and retaking it if need be, plus organizing my applications for law school. But I had it put it on hold when I got this job, because I wanted to save up some money to do this in the first place. Now that I have enough money to do this, I am wondering if it's too late for me to start studying now. (If it is too late, quitting my job would be pointless.)
Take it raw. I wouldn't say this for the bar exam, but if you don't have time for the lsat prep, just take it raw.
I knew guys who did better raw than those who studied. 99% of it is your own ability.

Also, FYI they send prep materials with the ticket (albeit limited, but enough to get a feel for it)

silverdoe91

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:10:27 PM »
Take it raw. I wouldn't say this for the bar exam, but if you don't have time for the lsat prep, just take it raw.
I knew guys who did better raw than those who studied. 99% of it is your own ability.

Also, FYI they send prep materials with the ticket (albeit limited, but enough to get a feel for it)

I don't think the prep materials they send will be helpful at all, because I probably already used them the first time I took the test. Also, I already studied for seven months prior to taking the LSAT the first time around, so if I don't make a significant improvement in both my score and, thus my study habits, there's really no point in taking the test over again.