Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why Go?  (Read 1240 times)

ShonMI

• View Profile
Re: Why Go?
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 07:03:36 PM »
Two years later, I'd say it's close to 100%.

It is  not very common for any job industry to have close to a 100% employment rate. I just have a hard time believing it is that good in a highly saturated field in the midst of a huge recession. Wow, I'd say that is pretty impressive if it is actually true....but what kind of employment is it? If a lot of those are unpaid internships, then no, I don't consider that real employment - no matter how great someone thinks their chances are of someday being hired permanent. Employment = paycheck.  Unpaid internships are a huge problem today, not just in law, but in other careers.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
Many schools list LLM or SJD  (etc) students as "employed" too

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
Two years later, I'd say it's close to 100%.

It is  not very common for any job industry to have close to a 100% employment rate. I just have a hard time believing it is that good in a highly saturated field in the midst of a huge recession. Wow, I'd say that is pretty impressive if it is actually true....but what kind of employment is it? If a lot of those are unpaid internships, then no, I don't consider that real employment - no matter how great someone thinks their chances are of someday being hired permanent. Employment = paycheck.  Unpaid internships are a huge problem today, not just in law, but in other careers.

It's an estimate based on anecdotal evidence, I don't know what the specific number is. But two years after graduation, yeah, the vast majority of my classmates are employed as attorneys.

That doesn't mean that they're all making great money or working at swanky firms, but they are employed as attorneys (not LL.M students or unpaid interns).

Remember, I'm talking about two years after graduation. It took some people a long time to find a job, and for many they're certainly not working at their dream job. Some have great job that they love, some are slogging through insurance defense. Others tried to get hired at firms, had no luck, and hung out their own shingle. 

One thing that is different about law from many of the other fields mentioned is that you can always open your own office and start taking cases. Will it be hard to find clients? Yes. Will there be a learning curve? Yes. Will you make big money immediately? No. But it can be done, and you get better with time. If you know how to hustle and are willing to work hard, you can build up a nice practice. 

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 09:11:38 PM »
what is their average rate of pay? Are they actually taking cases or just doing office manager/paralegal work at a higher billable hour?

ShonMI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
Many schools list LLM or SJD  (etc) students as "employed" too

That is another issue. I don't really trust what the schools say about how many of their graduates are employed.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 08:17:30 PM »
what is their average rate of pay? Are they actually taking cases or just doing office manager/paralegal work at a higher billable hour?

Honestly, I don't know what the average pay is for my former classmates. Some are doing just fine and others are probably struggling. If I had to guess (and this is just a guess), I'd say that most who went to small/mid sized firms are now in the $60-80,000 range. About the same for those in government.

As far as the solo practitioners, the ones I'm in touch with say that it was tough at first but has gotten steadily better as they get more experience. I know one solo practitioner who did very well right off the bat, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule.

kckeisel

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 05:45:50 PM »
There are plenty of opportunities out there! You just need to keep looking. The key is to find a position that you will be happy with! Take a look at this article. I thought it was helpful!

http://www.lawcrossing.com/article/900042544/25-Reasons-Why-Most-Attorneys-Go-Crazy-And-What-to-Do-About-It/