Law School Discussion

LLB (Graduate Entry)

barprephero

Re: LLB (Graduate Entry)
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 06:06:57 PM »
I plan to attend a LLM at a ABA approved school.  For the California Bar, the LLM can be from an ABA approved school or a California approved law school.
Wise choice. The bar pass rate goes from around 70% to about 14% of unaccredited JD's, and I imagine the same idea is true at the LLM level too.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:57:51 PM »
CUSC:

I was under the impression that UK law degrees were generally accepted in CA without an LL.M. For example, a friend of mine has his LL.B from an English law school and qualified for the CA bar without having to take an LL.M.

Is the determinative factor whether or not you are already licensed in the UK?

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »
The current rules are pretty clear.   If you are a licensed attorney it can be common law or civil law you can sit for the Cali bar and by-pass taking the additional 1 yr education at ABA, California approved school, or the LLM.   If you have a foreign law degree and not a lawyer then you will need to complete the additional education requirements.  You also have to get your foreign law degree evaluated by one of the approved agencies on the California Bar Examiners list to determine your education equivalency. 

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2014, 08:30:56 PM »
California should bar foreign lawyers whose jurisdictions who do not offer California lawyers the chance to sit for the bar.

barprephero

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2014, 09:01:47 PM »
California should bar foreign lawyers whose jurisdictions who do not offer California lawyers the chance to sit for the bar.
Reciprocity Agreements are more for when no additional training is required

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2014, 09:23:47 PM »

California doesn't have enough attorneys?!

barprephero

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 09:10:20 PM »

California doesn't have enough attorneys?!
What difference does that make? Make the bar harder if you need to, weed out the weak that way.
MERITOCRACY !!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2014, 09:41:58 PM »

California has agreements with Ireland and England. 

barprephero

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2014, 12:01:56 PM »

I know?  ???

barprephero

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

We're talking about different types of agreements