Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Got a 160 on LSAT diagnostic but not going to law school  (Read 929 times)

Azelais

• View Profile
    • Email
Got a 160 on LSAT diagnostic but not going to law school
« on: June 22, 2014, 02:35:03 AM »
Hi all,

I just finished my first year of college at a top 5 university. I have a week with nothing to do before I start interning in a hospital because I'm a pre-med. I decided to take a practice LSAT for fun because throughout high school and the very beginning of college I was considering law school, plus, I think the LSAT is fun (I love critical reading and logic questions). I took the June 2007 version of the LSAT under timed conditions and got a 160. I've never taken any logic or law courses or anything. I only looked at the writing sample, but the topic seems right up my alley, I did speech and debate in high school and know what arguments I'd make.

I'm scared that I got a 160 because I'm afraid I'm making the wrong choice by being pre-med. After shadowing doctors earlier this year, I could really see myself as a doctor. Unfortunately, I'm not good in the sciences and struggle to pull B's, yet I easily get A's in writing (and literally just any non-science) classes. I can only imagine how I would perform on the LSAT being older and having studied for the 3 months (7-9 hrs/day) I intend to study for the MCAT.

I love law, but I also love medicine. I clearly have much more aptitude for getting into law school, but I know the job market for lawyers isn't good and I am attracted to the stability of being a doctor. I've sacrificed a lot to be premed; I devote so much time to studying during the school year that I rarely go out, and this summer I'm working Monday-Thurs from 9-5 on top of learning the material for a year-long physics course in one summer. The pre-med lifestyle is miserable, but I guess all pre-meds have to endure something similar to achieve the end goal of an MD degree. I think the difference is that pre-meds pulling A's are probably a lot happier than I am, because while I used to like science, getting B's is making me hate it and feel bitter that I just *can't* understand some concepts, no matter how hard I try.

Is it advisable to continue on the pre-med path and use law as a "Plan B" if I don't get into med school? But I guess then I would also have to study for the LSAT, which might spread me too thin. My current GPA is a 3.55, but it's on an upward trend. It would be a 4.0 without science classes. Also, I plan on being a bio major and I know law schools look at major GPA. I would only want to give up pre-med and go for law if there was a good chance I could get into a T10, but I suppose there's no way to know.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my situation? What questions should I be asking myself? Apologies for if this is in the wrong section, this is my first time posting.

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Got a 160 on LSAT diagnostic but not going to law school
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 04:41:51 PM »
I always tell people to give the LSAT a shot. If you do ok at it, factor that in, same for if you do bad at it.
Remember, it's not swearing into the Marines. There is still a way out  ;)

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:08:54 AM »
Becoming a doctor or a lawyer is difficult neither is an easy path. There are however, plenty of jobs for lawyers out there, but failed law students are more likely to offer analysis as to why things did not work out for them.

I agree 100% with Newlyminted just take the actual LSAT and see how it goes. Getting a 160 on a practice doesn't actually mean anything, but if you actually study and take the real LSAT and get a solid score law school becomes a reality. You can have an LSAT score and never apply to law school and continue your medical training your out.

If you end up getting a 140 on the LSAT then maybe it really isn't for you, but if you get a 170 then the door is open, but you don't have walk through it.

However, I want to disclose the feeling of getting B's and not A's will occur in law school. Law school is highly competitive and everybody on the first day thinks they will graduate in the top 10% of the class, but obviously 90% don't and half of the students finish in the bottom of the class.  I do not know how med school works, but there in law school only a certain percent of the class can get an A and the difference between an A and B is often subjective based on the professor. So whether you go to law school or med school be prepared to not be the #1 student.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:48:21 PM »
Well said Citylaw.

silverdoe91

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 08:55:27 PM »
Just go to law school if you fail at pre-med. Law schools loooooove bio majors. :P

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:40:13 AM »
MD/JD joint degree

silverdoe91

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
MD/JD joint degree

What did you choose to pursue after getting your degrees? A job in the legal sector, or medical?

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 07:27:10 PM »
MD/JD joint degree

What did you choose to pursue after getting your degrees? A job in the legal sector, or medical?
I posted it the wrong way. I meant to imply that OP could pursue that.
I am NOT "that guy".  Mad respect for those who do though.

silverdoe91

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:06 PM »
MD/JD joint degree

I posted it the wrong way. I meant to imply that OP could pursue that.
I am NOT "that guy".  Mad respect for those who do though.

As notable as it is to be able to pursue both degrees (and survive), what is the purpose of actually getting both degrees simultaneously? It's not like you can practice both professions at the same time (I imagine it would be quite impossible, even if one does forego sleep entirely).

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:50:12 PM »
Keep planning on attending med school. Law school will always be there, and requires significantly less preparation than medical school; just the LSAT, really. Similarly, the LSAT is an aptitude test—while you can study for it, it isn't the same as a test that requires scientific knowledge, like the MCAT. Being naturally good at it doesn't mean you need to go to law school. Chances are you're better than 80% of your peers in writing, math, and science, but the math and science classes tend to weed people less dedicated or skilled out.

Your major doesn't really matter for law school, and, if you meet the pre-med requirements, doesn't matter so much for med school either. 't you can, take only the minimum pre-med classes. It's not actually more than a couple years in each subject, so if you want to switch or double major in something, you can still do it and meet med school requirements.

It's unlikely that switching majors and classes at this point could improve your GPA *that* much, so I would only switch completely if you're absolutely sure you'll never want to go to medical school and are 100% positive you want to do law school.

There's nothing wrong with having law as a Plan B, as long as that's not the only reason you decide on it. Don't decide to do it just because med school doesn't work out the first time around or seems hard. Remember, it will always be there, and admissions requirements are getting easier, not harder, right now.

One thought: Don't work and attend school, especially with difficult classes. I know this may be financially difficult(I had to work through school as well) but it inevitably hurts GPA. After a JD or MD, you won't be sweating an extra couple thousand in loans, but during admissions you might sweat that .1 or .3 GPA difference it could make. Just a thought.