Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best LSAT Prep Course in the Philadelphia Area  (Read 731 times)

lawschoolnewbie

• View Profile
Best LSAT Prep Course in the Philadelphia Area
« on: June 05, 2014, 04:52:14 PM »
Has anyone taken an LSAT prep course in Philadelphia or the surrounding area? What course was it and what did you think of it? Was it helpful?

Based on what I've read online, I am currently looking at Powerscore and Blueprint as my top two choices, then Testmasters, then Princeton review and Kaplan. However, I would like to know if anyone took these courses in/around Philly and what they thought of it. AS MUCH DETAIL AS POSSIBLE PLEASE! Instructor, classroom, parking, price, hours, etc.

THANKS!

LSAT Blog

• View Profile
    • LSAT Blog
Re: Best LSAT Prep Course in the Philadelphia Area
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:56:18 AM »
What matters more than the company providing the course is the instructor you'll actually be working with.

You need someone who's knowledgeable, experienced, engaging, able to answer random questions on the fly, and go off-script to address the actual needs of the students.

You also need an instructor who can strike a balance between the needs of the "slower" and "quicker" students. Unfortunately, most classes contain students of all different ability levels (people shooting for simply 150+ and others shooting for 170+). In a class, you need an instructor who doesn't cater solely to one group or the other.

Ideally, if you take a course, you should be able to speak with the instructor before starting the class, get references, and sit in on a sample class actually taught by that instructor.

Good luck!

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:46:26 PM »
Most "courses" are just the video you would watch online but in a classroom on a bigger screen with the "proctor" just pushing the buttons to get a discount.

note: try to get discount by being said person

.Chuck

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT Logical Reasoning Question-Type Finder utility
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 12:27:44 AM »
Most "courses" are just the video you would watch online but in a classroom on a bigger screen with the "proctor" just pushing the buttons to get a discount.

note: try to get discount by being said person

You're thinking of BarBri Bar prep classes, not LSAT prep classes.  In person LSAT classes from quality companies have a live instructor teaching the class in person.

Quote from: goaliechica

IOPJCRN (In other PJC-related news)
cheeseburger glazed donut bun
 "The burger has been met by criticism from burger puritans and from people who...WANT TO LIVE"

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:45:45 PM »
I did the self study books from Power Score, Princeton Review, Kaplan, and the misc. LSAC materials. Kaplan was definitely my favorite with Power Score a somewhat close second. Princeton Review was really bad (complete waste of time and money).

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
hopefully not blame philly...

BP Robert

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 07:01:00 PM »
As a former Blueprint student and a current BP instructor, I'm biased. But I would definitely recommend our course, for a few reasons:

1. BP averages an 11 point score increase, enough to bring you up from crossing your fingers for Whittier Law, to having a good shot at Duke.
2. We truly believe our methods are the most intuitive and useful, and they're complimented by an incredible online platform that includes tips, videos, more practice tests, and explanations.
3. We're committed to an ethos that is both rigorously informative and also entertaining and comfortable. You'll find this useful after a couple months of plowing through dry LSAT material.

If you have any further questions feel free to PM me. Best luck studying.