Law Students > General Board

Academic Dismissal

(1/3) > >>

here4:
I started law school January of this year in a spring start program. I just received my first semester grades and got a 1.93 GPA. I need a 2.0 in order to be in good standing so I am one letter grade away from being able to stay in school. This semester has been very difficult for me as I have had A LOT of family issues and was homeless the first week of finals. I want to write a petition to the law school admissions committee because I really want to be in law school. Has anyone else been through this process and been successful with remaining in school? Do any of you have good advice or dos/do nots for my written petition? Thanks in advance.

FreshlyMinted:
Different schools have different policies. Was this a "part time" program by chance? Which college?

I'd overall say ask to "take a year off". That can help you with your personal time needed for your personal affairs plus time to signup for 1L aid courses (Kaplan,etc) to help get better prepeared to repeat.

Citylaw:
Do they not allow you to take the second semester?

It seems like you should have a full year.

If you are in California I know one girl who was dismissed, but she was reinstated after passing the California Baby Bar.

I would not make excuses in your Petition, but come up with ideas to prove that you are capable i.e. you are willing to take the baby bar exam, enroll in additional tutoring etc. Excuses do not go very far in the legal profession, but creative solutions do. Prove to them you are capable, smart and dedicated.

Good luck.

FreshlyMinted:
I suspect this many be Whittier. I am told they dismiss without AP if you fall below a 2.5 your first year

Maintain FL 350:

--- Quote from: here4 on June 02, 2014, 05:23:14 PM ---I started law school January of this year in a spring start program. I just received my first semester grades and got a 1.93 GPA. I need a 2.0 in order to be in good standing so I am one letter grade away from being able to stay in school. This semester has been very difficult for me as I have had A LOT of family issues and was homeless the first week of finals. I want to write a petition to the law school admissions committee because I really want to be in law school. Has anyone else been through this process and been successful with remaining in school? Do any of you have good advice or dos/do nots for my written petition? Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

Unless you have overcome the obstacles which held you back last semester, you may want to consider taking some time off anyway. There's no point in returning to law school unless you are in a position to succeed. I don't know enough about your situation to say what you should do, so you're going to have to do a critical self-evaluation and determine whether or not this is the right time to continue with law school.

Good Luck with whatever you decide!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version