Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many actually grew up WANTING to be lawyer?  (Read 582 times)

I.M.D.Law

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many actually grew up WANTING to be lawyer?
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »
My father is a chef. Now that I am in law school both of my parents have entertained the idea of becoming paralegals. Maybe being an attorney was something he secretly wanted to do but didn't think was possible. I am not sure.
why would they want to be paralegals? Is your mom a chef too? Do neither have any undergrad? Do they want to work for you?

I know this is all offtopic, but for whatever reason I have become authentically interested in all of this.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 06:19:50 PM »
I wanted to be an NBA basketball or professional basketball player in Europe, but after a below average college basketball career it was not a realistic option and I knew it wasn't realistic even in high school. I then wanted to be a police officer and was in the process of the backgrounds etc, which can take up to two years. I was working as a paralegal out of college and decided to take the LSAT expecting to do terribly. I did pretty well and was then offered a number of scholarships and I thought why not go to law school with a scholarship I did not have much to lose. In all honesty I really thought I would fail out, but my background for to be a police officer woudl be done by then and I would go back to that.

I ended up finishing in the top 10% of my class, which was a complete surprise to me and ended up loving law school and being a lawyer, but for the first 24 years of my life I thought there was no way I would ever be a lawyer, but it happened.

I think every story is unique and since law school does not require pre-req courses like med school it results in a lot more diverse backgrounds.

here4

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
My father is a chef. Now that I am in law school both of my parents have entertained the idea of becoming paralegals. Maybe being an attorney was something he secretly wanted to do but didn't think was possible. I am not sure.
why would they want to be paralegals? Is your mom a chef too? Do neither have any undergrad? Do they want to work for you?

I know this is all offtopic, but for whatever reason I have become authentically interested in all of this.

My mom is not a chef. They both have undergraduate degrees. My mom very briefly considered the idea but no longer wants to be a paralegal. My father does want to be paralegal and does want to work for me. I can't say for sure why he wants to be paralegal. My mom does not want to go through three more years of school and I don't know about my dad as far as becoming an attorney versus a paralegal.