Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many actually grew up WANTING to be lawyer?  (Read 616 times)

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How many actually grew up WANTING to be lawyer?
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:36:13 PM »
Be honest, what was the REAL reason you did it?
Failed the MCAT?
Applied while drunk?
lost a bet?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: How many actually grew up WANTING to be lawyer?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
Definitely did not grow up wanting to be a lawyer.  I came to this realization late in the game after a career in engineering. Engineering was cool but not my passion.  Law suited me better in terms of intellectual stimulation.  Plus when I researched careers in law I saw that they provided substantially more compensation than my engineering gig was capable of, which was definitely a motivating factor.  In retrospect, as a 0L I didn't realize how friggin' RARE it was to actually obtain said compensation (that's a whole other story).
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LawOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:34:28 AM »
Growing up, I wanted be an NFL quarterback. It wasn't until I took an entertainment law class in high school at the ripe age of 16 (and a realization that I don't have the size or talent to be the next Brett Favre) that I decided being an attorney was my true calling. I know some people stumble into law school without knowing why or even without seeing the inside of a courtroom prior to starting but I know this is what I want for myself.
"I do not shy away from responsibility, I embrace it"- JFK

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 01:19:26 PM »
Growing up, I wanted be an NFL quarterback. It wasn't until I took an entertainment law class in high school at the ripe age of 16 (and a realization that I don't have the size or talent to be the next Brett Favre) that I decided being an attorney was my true calling. I know some people stumble into law school without knowing why or even without seeing the inside of a courtroom prior to starting but I know this is what I want for myself.
How old are you now? graduated and licensed? Enjoying it as much as you had hoped?

LawOwl

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 05:51:47 PM »
I'm a 0L but have worked at various firms in college. I have been in court with my team of attorneys about 10 hours a week over the past year.
"I do not shy away from responsibility, I embrace it"- JFK

here4

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 07:35:25 PM »
I decided I would be a lawyer for career day at the age of 9. I have never changed my mind since. My father didn't want to be a lawyer but he was always watching movies about lawyers and recommending fictional books on the subject. My love grew deeper after taking a few classes and studying the law/government.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2014, 08:01:54 PM »
I decided I would be a lawyer for career day at the age of 9. I have never changed my mind since. My father didn't want to be a lawyer but he was always watching movies about lawyers and recommending fictional books on the subject. My love grew deeper after taking a few classes and studying the law/government.
did you mean that you father never wanted you to be a lawyer, or that he never wanted to be one himself? Is he an attorney himself?

here4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 06:09:20 AM »
did you mean that you father never wanted you to be a lawyer, or that he never wanted to be one himself? Is he an attorney himself?

My father never wanted to be a lawyer himself.

Gunner.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 12:26:32 PM »

My father never wanted to be a lawyer himself.
gotcha. Was he an attorney though? (I have known plenty of self loathing ones out there) or was he something else? If so, what is the else?

here4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:11:45 PM »
My father is a chef. Now that I am in law school both of my parents have entertained the idea of becoming paralegals. Maybe being an attorney was something he secretly wanted to do but didn't think was possible. I am not sure.