Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra Lost 12 Full-Time Faculty in a Year  (Read 1529 times)

lrt8000

• View Profile
Hofstra Lost 12 Full-Time Faculty in a Year
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
Hofstra law lost 12 full-time faculty between fall 2012 and fall 2013 which is about 25% of the faculty.  [http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2014/04/which-law-schools.html] One has to wonder whether Hofstra now has enough faculty to offer a full and diverse curriculum.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Hofstra Lost 12 Full-Time Faculty in a Year
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 05:49:13 PM »
The University of Chicago topped the list, losing an even greater percentage of fulltime faculty than Hofstra. Thomas Cooley, on the other hand, added more fulltime faculty than all but two schools including Columbia.

Should I now assume that Cooley is a better school than Chicago?

That's the problem with these kinds of lists. People clutch their pearls and get the vapors without looking at context. I don't know why Hofstra reduced it's faculty and apparently neither does the article's author, as no reason is given. Two obvious reasons come to mind: the drop in law school applicants an the advent of part time faculty.

There is a huge trend (at all levels of academia) towards hiring part time faculty. Part timers are cheaper, don't get benefits, don't get tenure and (on the positive side) bring some real world experience to the classroom. When a fulltime professor retires now, they are likely to be replaced by two adjuncts.

Hofstra may very well be offering the exact same number of courses as before, taught by adjuncts instead of fulltime faculty. The article is incomplete and without context.

lrt8000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:59:25 PM »
Wrong again Maintain. According to its 509 disclosures Hofstra's part-time faculty dropped from 64 in spring 2013 to 37 in Fall 2013.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:07 PM »
That could very well be the case. But my point is, so what? That doesn't mean that Hofstra is now offering an inferior education.

Again, do you assume that U Chicago now sucks or that Cooley is now awesome?

Having fewer professors isn't necessarily detrimental. It might mean larger classes or fewer electives, neither of which is a big deal in my opinion. Then again, it might not. For example, there is no reason that a professor cannot teach Property and Wills and Trusts. Small law schools do this all the time and it works fine.

As far as electives, I think most of them are a waste of time anyway. Does anybody really need "Animal Rights Law" or "Water Law" to pass the bar? Electives mostly serve as a way to charge more tuition.

I don't think anyone would claim that Hofstra is an academic powerhouse, but you have to look at this stuff in context. For example, has Hofstra had a corresponding drop in enrollment? 

lrt8000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 06:31:00 PM »
Are you serious? Larger classes are okay? Not getting the classes you need is okay? Do you think tuition is going down? When you lose a significant number of teachers the quality of the education goes down.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »
Are you serious? Larger classes are okay? Not getting the classes you need is okay? Do you think tuition is going down? When you lose a significant number of teachers the quality of the education goes down.

I think you're making some assumptions here.

There is nothing in the article to suggests that Hofstra students are not getting the classes they need. As far as class size, no, I don't think it's a big deal. This isn't kindergarten and you don't need the teacher to hold your hand. Law students should be intelligent enough to succeed whether the class has 100 students or 10. 

Tuition is a different story, as I think almost ALL law schools are insanely overpriced.

lrt8000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:17:04 PM »
FYI Maintain. Hofstra's student-faculty ratio has dropped from 15.1 to 18.2. Thats about a 20% drop.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:38:32 AM »
FYI Maintain. Hofstra's student-faculty ratio has dropped from 15.1 to 18.2. Thats about a 20% drop.

That means a 1L course would go from having 100 students to having 120 students. I doubt if that makes much difference.

But I agree with you that Hofstra is overpriced.

lrt8000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 06:40:27 PM »
When a law school loses a significant percentage of its faculty it can no longer offer the variety of courses it did before. I agree that animal rights law and similar courses are useless but there are many courses students will need. Some one who wants to practice healthcare law needs a variety of health care law courses. Some one who wants to practice business law needs a variety of business law courses. A school that doesn't offer enough advanced courses might as well be a bar review law school.

FreshlyMinted

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 07:49:27 PM »

Proctored Exams come to mind as an issue. I know that for a few exams when I had extra elbow room I did better just being able to breath.
elbow to elbow exams suck, its one of the things that I hated so much about the bar exam to be honest