Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Third Tier Admission  (Read 306 times)

newbie123

• View Profile
Third Tier Admission
« on: April 15, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »
Hello and I apologize in advance for being another "can I get in IF" poster. I looked on a lot of different sites to find a similar situation to mine but can't seem to find one. I will keep this as brief as possible.

I never went to class during my undergrad because I was off getting "the college experience." I earned, if you can call it that, a B.S. in Human Resource Management with a lousy 2.06 GPA. A couple of years later I am here regretting it in the worst way as I now want to follow in my father's footsteps and become an attorney. I am not, however, trying to do it on his level (hence the subject of this thread). He was 3.98 for undergrad, 4.0 mba, 174 lsat, and 3.9 law school.

So here is the question: What do I need to do in order to get into West Virginia Law?

I work in admissions now at a college and they have offered to pay 100% for me to get my MBA through them but trust me, its not a well respected MBA program. For weeks I have been reading about people with similar GPAs to mine asking how to get into a top tier school and everyone has said, knock the GMAT out of the park, get a 4.0 in your MBA, score at least a 170 on the LSAT, have your letters of recommendation be from Barack and Michelle, rub your tummy 3 times, and submit your application on the 2nd Tuesday in the month after never. As I state before, however, I want to go to WVU not Harvard so what does my course of action need to include?

Thank you all for your help. I know this question is asked a lot on so many different levels.

Edit: The part where I said "not trying to do it on his same level" does not mean I do not want to work as hard as my Dad did. It just means I am not looking for admissions to top tier schools like he did (Yale) because I realize that my UGPA already eliminated me from those.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Third Tier Admission
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
So here is the question: What do I need to do in order to get into West Virginia Law?

No one on this board (or any other board) can definitively answer that question. However, here's something to consider: according to WVU, their median GPA/LSAT is 3.36/154.

Although law schools love to fill the pages of their promotional materials with stuff about "looking at the whole applicant", the vast majority of law school admission decisions will be based almost exclusively on numeric qualifications.

Soft factors such as holding a graduate degree or volunteering at a soup kitchen are fine, but won't really make too much difference. If it's a choice between the applicant with multiple soft factors and a low GPA/LSAT versus the applicant with ZERO soft factors and high GPA/LSAT . . . , well you get the picture.

So what does that mean for you?

It means that for the purposes of law school admission your GPA is very low. Thus, the best way to mitigate that low GPA is with a very high LSAT score. Simply meeting the average 154ish range is probably not enough.

Take a look at the admission grids in The Official Guide to U.S. Law Schools. They are very helpful, and will give you a good idea as to your chances. It looks like only a couple of people were admitted to WVU with GPAs in the 2.0-2.24 range, and they had LSATs in the 160+ range.

My advice would be:

1) crack down on the LSAT prep. Take a course if possible, and truly dedicate yourself to getting the highest score possible.

2) Broaden your horizons. You may not get into WVU. Would you be willing to attend another school?

3) Don't take this as snarky criticism (I'm not one of these posters who gets a kick out of trashing people's dreams) but you should think about whether or not law school is the right choice.

The reason that law schools want solid GPAs is because law school is VERY challenging. Seriously, it makes undergrad look like kindergarten and you will be expected to compete with lots of very smart, motivated students.

If you had a tough time achieving a passing GPA in undergrad, law school may not be the best option. Success in law school will require a major change in your motivation, study habits, and personal discipline. Unless you get that straightened out law school will be a waste of time and money. 

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Third Tier Admission
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »
If you look at lawschoolnumbers.com for West Virginia with a 2.04 and obtain a 155 it looks like you might have a chance. http://wvu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/1314 .

As for the MBA I do not think you should pursue that path if your ultimate goal is law school. Law school admissions like at undergrad GPA and LSAT. Grad school grades are not taken that seriously most grad schools hand out A's like candy, which is why law school admissions do not take them seriously.

I think you take the LSAT and apply to West Virginia. The admission standards are not that difficult, but you need to get a decent LSAT score to overcome the 2.04 GPA, but it can be done.

Good luck.