Law School Discussion

Considering Law School

Re: Considering Law School
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 11:02:33 AM »
My much more realistic, but still reach, schools are what you recommended: Vandy, Texas, UCLA, and Georgetown, with my target schools ranging from George Washington, Minnesota, Notre Dame, USC, and Boston University to Boston College and Fordham.

Keep in mind that (with the exception of Georgetown) these are basically highly respected regional schools. Your employment opportunities are still going to be somewhat limited to the immediate region. 

Does that mean that a UCLA grad can't get hired in NYC? No, of course not. It just means that they're going to compete against many local grads, and won't really be able to rely on the reputation of the school to open doors. In California it's a different story. A degree from UCLA will open doors. For example, ask Minnesota how many Los Angeles firms interviewed on campus last year. Probably very few, if any.

Unless you attend a truly national school with a strong enough reputation to open doors automatically, I would really consider going to law school in a city/region in which you would be comfortable staying.   

Re: Considering Law School
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 03:09:44 PM »
If you want to end up in Chicago go to law school in Chicago.

University of Chicago is obviously the best, but that is tough. Then Northwestern or Notre Dame will open more doors in Chicago than Stanford would, even though Stanford is number 3.

I cannot emphasize enough the importance of location over the rankings. The rankings change drastically year by year and in the Bay Area you will find Stanford/Boalt grads they are connected in the Bay Area. You can find Stanford alum in Chicago, but University of Chicago or Northwestern grads will predominate in Chicago.

Realize wherever you attend law school will be three years of the prime of your life, and will likely where you end up residing long term. Also campuses are different Notre Dame is a college town and if you love Football, Frat, Parties, etc then Notre Dame is great, but if you hate small college towns don't move to South Bend.

Really consider location when you choose your law school I cannot emphasize it enough.