Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which college majors get the best LSAT scores?  (Read 1279 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Which college majors get the best LSAT scores?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
They might that actually brings up an interesting question I wonder how many students actually retake the LSAT?

Your logic that a LSAT taker who was overconfident on their first try could just retake, but in reality imagine the majority of LSAT takers give it one shot and that is it. I have no evidence to back that up, but it would be interesting and actually objective stat as to whether someone retook the LSAT.

Definitely a strong proponent of retaking the LSAT.

First time I took a practice LSAT blind without any prep I got a 145. I took the Kaplan course which was a 2 or 3 month course but it only administered a total of 3 full length practice LSAT tests during that time, which included the first one that I took blind.  Long story short, I got a 145 on the first one, a 145 on the second one, and a 145 on the third one. Took the real thing a few weeks later and -- surprise surprise -- got a 145. Shocker.

Made my applications and barely even got the worst of the worst schools to write me back.  Got maybe one or 2 acceptances from a few bottom of the barrel law schools and so I decided to sit it out for a year and retake.

Decided to take a different course on my next run since Kaplan didn't exactly do anything for me.  A few days before the class (Princeton Review) was supposed to start I get a call saying that there were not enough people in my area to justify having the class so they cancelled it.  I was panicked at the time but it actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise because in my panicked state I went out and bought every LSAT book known to man. 

I studied each section of the LSAT every night on my own and during the weekends I took a full length practice LSAT on Saturday and Sunday.  By the time I took the actual LSAT, I had taken so many practice LSATs that I could actually tell which section was the experimental section because it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. 

Ended up getting a 162 on my retake LSAT.

And that is how I Forrest Gumped my way into law school. 

But seriously, I strongly recommend that people really consider retaking the LSAT even if it means sitting out for a year.  As we all know, law schools only care about 2 things: GPA and LSAT.  To the extent you can increase both then you increase your options tremendously.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

BP Robert

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 07:07:14 PM »
As the charts suggest, the answer to your question is "philosophy, engineering, and math/physics"

Which makes sense as all of those majors are oriented towards critical thinking, which is all the LSAT tests for. I think that most people headed to law school are not about to jump into a physics course, but I would recommend taking a couple philosophy classes if you're interested in training your brain. Formal logic is generally regarded as very helpful, Aristotle may also be a good place to start.

Best luck in your studies.

atomics

• View Profile
    • ExamTackler - The best test prep books, guides, apps, and more.
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 10:34:27 PM »
As the charts suggest, the answer to your question is "philosophy, engineering, and math/physics"

Which makes sense as all of those majors are oriented towards critical thinking, which is all the LSAT tests for. I think that most people headed to law school are not about to jump into a physics course, but I would recommend taking a couple philosophy classes if you're interested in training your brain. Formal logic is generally regarded as very helpful, Aristotle may also be a good place to start.

Best luck in your studies.

I have to agree - but I found logic courses to be more effective than philosophy classes in helping develop my critical thinking.

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 01:02:14 AM »
Logic is usually in the Philosophy department. In rare cases where it's not, it's because of a particular emphasis on logic in general or on the mathematics elements. But most people who get their PhDs in Logic are studying in Philosophy departments.