Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CBE School or Wait Another Year?  (Read 303 times)

jman12

• View Profile
CBE School or Wait Another Year?
« on: March 26, 2014, 07:44:24 PM »
My LSDA gpa is extremely low: 1.80 and my LSAT is 147. I have a few more classes to add onto my transcript but that may only bring it up to a 2.0. I am applied for one school and got rejected. I am afraid to apply to other ABA schools because of my low gpa. I am considering to apply to a CBE school because I contacted a school and they say they look at my undergrad GPA (2.3) rather than using the LSDA calculated gpa. Or should I wait another year to retake my LSAT? However, I feel with my low gpa I would need at least 160+ to even get into a tier 4 school. Any suggestions or advice?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CBE School or Wait Another Year?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 06:21:56 PM »
Honestly, you need to really think about whether or not law school is the right choice for you, not just whether you can get in anywhere.

Law school is much, much more demanding than undergrad. It's not even close. If you had a tough time getting passing grades in college, then law school is going to be brutal. 

If you have a tough time with tests, like the LSAT, then consider that the MPRE and (especially) bar exam will make the LSAT look like a joke.

Please understand that I'm not trying to be overly critical, but these are things you need to consider before you go $150,000 in debt to obtain a degree which you may not be able to utilize.

As far as getting into an ABA law school, I think your GPA is going to be a huge problem even if you retake the LSAT and score in the 160s. 

If you do decide to attend a CBE or unaccredited law school, take the time to thoroughly research the requirements and potential limitations of such a degree. Do a realistic, critical self-evaluation and figure out what caused you to get a low GPA. Unless that issue has been resolved, I'd rethink my plans.

"Proceed with Caution".

CA Law Dean

• Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CBE School or Wait Another Year?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
I fully agree with MFL 350. All of his points are important and worth seriously considering. That said, given the supplemental academic support program that we have at Monterey College of Law (one of the CBE law schools) we have seen success with students who have similar scores to you. However, they have been honest about their need to improve on their undergraduate academic habits and were willing to do the extra workshops and tutoring necessary to bring their study skills and writing up to law school standards. Therefore, if you are willing to dedicate the extra effort, on top of the regular law school curriculum, a program like MCL could be an option for you. Let me know if you have additional specific questions about our program. We also have a conditional admission program that starts the first week of July and provides a ten-session course for pre1L skills such as study skills, time management, stress management, learning styles, and writing. It is taught by our first-year faculty and the Dean of Academic Support.
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu