Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: About to take the Next Step  (Read 453 times)

dreday92

• View Profile
    • Email
About to take the Next Step
« on: March 20, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
Im new to this site and I have a couple of questions. I started the application process back in January and took the February Lsat. I was wondering if somebody could give me a bit of advice. I know this might seem strange, but I am from an area where few go to college let alone Law School. Can someone direct message me.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: About to take the Next Step
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:45:01 PM »
I think you need to provide a little more info, like your GPA/LSAT, goals, where you want to live, etc.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: About to take the Next Step
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 05:06:21 PM »
Will first thing you need is to setup an LSAC account, but I imagine you did that if you took the LSAT.

The only documents you will actually need to apply to law school are (1) Official undergrad transcripts; (2) LSAT score; (3) Letters of Recommendation; (4) Personal Statement; (5) Some schools require additional essays. Here is the future JD students LSAC link. http://www.lsac.org/jd

For financial aid purposes fill out FAFSA for the year you will be attending and use all the schools you are applying to. http://www.fafsa-application.com/preparer.php/?s=GOOGLE&gclid=COaN4JWEp70CFcRefgodrDcAjw

One other thing that is useful for law school applicants is to attend or at the very least register for LSAC forums. This year they are going to Atlanta, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Houston, L.A, Miami, New York, D.C. and Toronto. Here is the link for the forums http://www.lsac.org/jd/choosing-a-law-school/forums-and-other-events . Even if you just register with your LSAC number for these forums you will get numerous recruitment e-mails and application fee waivers from law schools around the country. If you can atten more fee waivers will come in particularly if you just sign your LSAC number into booths. When I was a 0L I think I literally signed in at every booth from Harvard to Cooley and got 125 law school fee waivers. Still a $12 processing fee to apply, but it saved me thousands on applications.

I applied to a number of schools and was accepted at many with scholarships and used that to negotiate with a number of schools. In then end I got a 75% scholarship from the law school I attended and graduated from. There are a lot of ways to make the system work for you, but it just takes a little effort.

I still paid $50,000+ for law school and I hate paying tuition for anything, but still better than $150,000.

This board has some great posters on it so continue to post on the process and many people will be eager to help you with the process.

Good luck in your pursuit of a legal education it can be a very rewarding career.