Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: My Chances w/ Georgetown? Any advice?  (Read 587 times)

sweeterthantea

• View Profile
My Chances w/ Georgetown? Any advice?
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »
Hi everyone!

I currently have a 3.81 GPA (hoping to improve that) and my practice LSAT score was a 173. I am also involved in extra curricular organizations, have done a few internships, and am an African-American female. I am working on raising my GPA & LSAT score. I would love to attend Georgetown Law school. If I keep my GPA up and do well on the LSAT, do I have a good chance of being accepted? Also, what other schools would any of you recommend I look into with my scores? I am trying to be realistic, I doubt I'd get into Harvard but I would like to make it into a 'great' Law School.

If anyone has any other advice to lend, I am definitely open to it!

Thank you for any help! I also apologize that this is kind of vague, first time posting.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: My Chances w/ Georgetown? Any advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 01:47:58 AM »
Georgetown is a great school and I sincerely hope you get a 173 LSAT, but a practice LSAT is practice. I know many people in your position myself included as 0L get ahead of themselves and start thinking about the school they will attend etc. It is kind of exciting.

However, realistically what should focus on is getting an LSAT score once you have a real LSAT score and your GPA is officially done you will know your options. If you get a 173 LSAT and have a 3.81 GPA your chances are solid and just an FYI lawschoolnumbers.com is a great site to see what numbers will get you into what school.

With all that said something to really understand is that any ABA law school will teach you the law and give you the skills to become a successful lawyer. It is true schools like Georgetown, Harvard, Yale etc will open the door to Biglaw, but I know a number of Harvard grads who worked at Biglaw hated it and went on to work at a D.A., Public Defender, City Attorney etc where you don't need the Harvard Degree to work, but they have a lot more debt.

A lot of incoming and current law students get very racked up in the rankings and attending the "highest ranked" school, but the reality is no matter what school you attend you will read Supreme Court cases and learn the same thing the law is the law period. The Supreme Court does not write separate opinions for different law schools.

Anyways, just focus on getting your LSAT score then you can know your options. Once you have the score think about the location you want to attend school, consider the tuition costs, and visit schools to see, which one is a fit for you. When I was choosing I visited a number of schools some were great to me others sucked, but that was my personal opinion you could very well love the schools I hated and vice versa.

Good luck on the LSAT and your pursuit of a legal career.

sweeterthantea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »
CityLaw,

Thank you for your advice! I will check out lawschoolnumbers. You are correct, practice is practice and I should probably not get ahead of myself, I guess I can't help it. I also agree, any law school will teach law. I definitely don't want to attend Georgetown solely for its name, there are other factors like location, etc. that have made it my number 1 choice, but any law school that will consider me/accept me is game in my book… when the time comes lol

Thank you again for your advice!  :)

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:01:04 PM »
1) As an AA, and thus a URM, you are looking at a pretty strong LSAT boost. This can be anywhere between 0-10 points.

2) Especially as a URM, if you are within a schools average band, you will have a very real shot.

3) Therefore, if these end up being your real hard factors, not only would you be a shoo in for GTown, you would have a very very very real shot at Harvard.

4) As a URM, I highly recommend applying to as many schools as possible. In personally applied to the top 14 (generally considered the schools that have national pull) plus all the top schools in the cities/regions I wanted to live and work in long-term. You never know how a school will treat your URM status. One school may give you a huge LSAT boost/big scholarship while another competing school may just flat out reject you.

5) Be on the look out for fee waivers. If you don't get any, be sure to contact the school to see if they can give you one.

6) Make sure to rock your essays/resume/LORs/etc. Since you are a URM, if you are just under a schools numbers, these soft factors will end up swaying the decisions.

7) In sum, rock the LSAT. Take as many as you possibly can under full test conditions. Keep this GPA up. And invest the time into how your present your soft factors.

Good luck!