Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Arrests Addendum  (Read 431 times)

SSP438

• View Profile
Arrests Addendum
« on: February 25, 2014, 02:46:15 PM »
Hey, guys. Please feel free to correct and critique where you see fit. I'm already treading on thin ice, so i would like to make it as presentable as possible. Thank you!

Addendum: Character and Fitness

On August 10, 2001, I was arrested for shop lifting at a NYC department store. I was charged with petit larceny and received an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (ACD) with the condition of staying out of trouble for 6 months. The case was dismissed and sealed as of 2/08/2002.

On November 20, 2003, I was arrested for jumping the turnstile at a NYC train station. I received a desk appearance ticket (DAT) and an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (ACD) with the condition of staying out of trouble for 6 months. The case was dismissed and sealed as of 6/16/2004.

On October 29, 2005, I was arrested for possession of marijuana. I was charged with unlawful possession of marijuana and received an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal (ACD) with the condition of staying out of trouble for 6 months. The case was dismissed and sealed as of 7/01/2006.

On August 13, 2012, I was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. I was charged with reckless driving and driving while intoxicated, but the charges were reduced to a vehicle and traffic law violation driving while impaired. My license was suspended for 90 days; I was ordered to pay a $500 fine and had to complete a Drinking Driving Program. I fulfilled all the requirements and the case is now closed.

It is difficult to sit here today and ask not to be judged for my past indiscretions, especially when I have an offense dating back as recent as 2012, but I earnestly believe that they do not define me. Throughout my youth I made some misguided and idiotic decisions. Since then, I have made great strides in my maturation process, from 2006 until present. While the DUI in 2012 was an egregious error in judgment, it was a temporary deviation from the positive direction I had been trending, and does not accurately represent the person I am today. I take complete ownership of each transgression and continue to barter my yesterdays for my tomorrows.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Arrests Addendum
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:31:25 PM »
The addendum is probably sufficient for the purposes of law school admission, but I would highly advise contacting your state bar and asking about their admission requirements.

There is variation among the state bars as to how much this type of thing will affect you. In some states an explanation and proof that you fulfilled any requirements may be all that is needed. In other states, these types of things could delay your admission for a long time.

Law schools may be willing to admit you and to accept your money for three years, whereas the bar may not. Definitely check into it before you spend the tuition.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:06 PM »
1) I would give a little more details on the charges. The city/state. Amount of substances, BAC levels, etc. Any bit of information that would be on a one sheet is important for the ad comms to know. This also includes if you plead guilty, if this was a felony, etc. You can't give too much info.

2) Take out self-depricating lines. You can say something was misguided, ok, but saying that you did some idiotic makes you sound immature not only back then, but now as well.

3) On the flip side, you ended this very well. Taking responsibility is far stronger than feeling sorry for yourself. And you communicate this sentiment beautifully.

4) I'd like to see how you have turned these things into positives. This will showcase to the adcomms that, not only are you mature enough to take ownership of your actions, but can learn from them. This may be subtle and may only require a sentence or two to achieve, but will make this part of your application shine. Instead of docking your application, this could potentially be another source of experience and perspective that other candidates may not have. So... find the positive.

Good luck!

SSP438

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 04:13:16 PM »
1) I would give a little more details on the charges. The city/state. Amount of substances, BAC levels, etc. Any bit of information that would be on a one sheet is important for the ad comms to know. This also includes if you plead guilty, if this was a felony, etc. You can't give too much info.

2) Take out self-depricating lines. You can say something was misguided, ok, but saying that you did some idiotic makes you sound immature not only back then, but now as well.

3) On the flip side, you ended this very well. Taking responsibility is far stronger than feeling sorry for yourself. And you communicate this sentiment beautifully.

4) I'd like to see how you have turned these things into positives. This will showcase to the adcomms that, not only are you mature enough to take ownership of your actions, but can learn from them. This may be subtle and may only require a sentence or two to achieve, but will make this part of your application shine. Instead of docking your application, this could potentially be another source of experience and perspective that other candidates may not have. So... find the positive.

Good luck!

As for pleading guilty and felony info, i thought stating that the cases resulted in dismissals is pretty implicit. If they're dismissed, then no conviction or crime. Same with the DUI, if it's reduced to a traffic violation, then there's no crime etc. I will look into the self-deprecation, i just figured showing that they were flat out dumb decisions was taking supreme ownership.

I really appreciate the insight!

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 12:08:54 AM »
i just figured showing that they were flat out dumb decisions was taking supreme ownership.

Haha! I'd say in an informal setting, you are completely correct. But given that this is an application to law school and you are talking about a touchy subject, it is probably best to express yourself in a formal, clear, succinct manner. So saying something is misguided, as you did, as opposed to idiotic is much preferred. But this is just my opinion - I'm by no means on an adcomm.

As for the more info bit. Use your best judgment. All I know is that every ad comm in an interview says that they are disappointed (aka - very bad news for you) when they don't have the full scoop. Its far better to over inform than to under inform. Here is a great link that breaks down exactly what they are looking for:

http://blogs.law.yale.edu/blogs/admissions/archive/2013/01/10/new-post.aspx

That blog has great admissions info not just for Yale, but for any school.

Good luck!