Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weighing TX law school options  (Read 1885 times)

K1988

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Weighing TX law school options
« on: February 05, 2014, 08:36:28 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am currently in my third year as a teacher in Texas. I did Teach for America and then stayed a third year as a teacher. All along, I have wanted to go to law school, and I am planning to apply by November of this year. I'm looking to stay in Texas, and I wanted to hear what you guys had to say about two options I'm considering. One of my choices is UT, but I would have to wait until fall of 2015 to start. Another option I am seriously considering is starting in the spring (2015) at Baylor. By the time I start law school I will already be 27, and I am eager to get started ASAP. Even with this early start option, would it be better to hold out and wait for UT? Curious to hear what people think.

Maintain FL 350

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 695
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing TX law school options
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 09:30:28 PM »
What are your numbers (LSAT/GPA)?

Citylaw

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 325
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing TX law school options
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:28:01 AM »
Have you taken the LSAT yet?

I don't think you should rush into law school just for the sake of wanting to start ASAP.  As an anonymous internet poster that know nothing about you or your situation I have the following advice to offer.

Apply this Fall to a number of Texas schools. If your numbers are good enough to get into UT you will have a number of scholarship options and if you visit Houston Law and love it getting a J.D. debt free there might be a better option than UT at $150,000.


CA Law Dean

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 100
  • Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Weighing TX law school options
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 11:26:28 AM »
Prior to moving to CA to serve as dean of a small regional law school, I lived and worked in Texas. I am also a Univ of Houston law grad. In Texas there is UT and the other law schools. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the other law schools or that UT is perfect. It is just recognition that UT is the premier Texas law school  . . . has been and likely will always be.

That said, UT is very difficult to get in, it has huge sections, and you will need to be an extraordinarily good student to graduate high enough in the class to get preferential BigLaw jobs.

There is absolutely nothing academically wrong with Baylor. However, going to law school in Waco does not provide much of a leg up on employment. Since it is academically similar to UH, SMU, Texas Tech, and SoTexas, I agree with Citylaw. Apply to all and see if you can get scholarship offers.

St. Mary's, TxWesleyan, TxSouthern, Thurgood Marshall are not in the same academic tier.

Geography has a lot of influence in job offers in Texas. UT dominates Austin (and everywhere), but SMU holds its own in Dallas as do UH and SoTexas in Houston and St. Mary's in San Antonio.Texas Tech rules West Texas.

All said, think ahead about what you want to do with your law degree and it might help your decision.

Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu

Citylaw

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 325
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing TX law school options
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 01:54:05 AM »
Completely agree with CA law dean.

As he stated if Biglaw is your goal then UT and SMU might you give a shot in Dallas. However, you will likely need to finish at a minimum in the top 25% of your class to even be eligible and there is a 75% chance you will not be in the top 25%. Nothing personal, but just the reality.

If your goal is to become a Public Defender in San Antonio then your odds of achieving that are more likely to be reached by attending St. Mary's. Simply because you can intern for the County Public Defender in San Antonio during law school build relationships there and upon passing the bar get a job there.

There are numerous paths to take in the law and certain schools will open certain doors.

Also there is no wrong answer any ABA school will provide you with a solid legal education and the opportunity to be admitted to the bar of any state.


K1988

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing TX law school options
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 06:46:27 PM »
Thank you everyone for the replies. To the person who asked about my numbers--My undergraduate degree is from Washington and Lee University. I graduated summa cum laude/Phi Beta Kappa with a 3.92. I have not yet taken the LSAT but will be studying full-time this June after leaving my job to take it in October. I will keep all your comments in mind as I see how my LSAT score progresses this summer!