Law Students > Distance Education Law Schools

July 2013 Bar Exam Results

(1/3) > >>

jonlevy:

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/Portals/4/documents/gbx/JULY2013STATS.012214_R.pdf
Overall Passrates

CA Unaccredited 
Law Office/Judges’ Chambers
Foreign Educated/JD Equivalent + One Year US Education
Foreign Attorneys Taking the General Bar Exam3

jonlevy:
So there you go - about a less than one in 5 chance  no matter which alternative route route you take -

Versus 22% for NON ABA California Accredited

My alma mater Taft however had overall  a nore than 20% pass rate

jonlevy:
Cooley lawschool however managed only 15% overall.

livinglegend:
Granted Cooleys Michigan pass rate is on par with other Michigan ABA schools. Most schools pass rates drop substantially when their students take bars in other states. A lot of it is probably the stress of students simply adjusting to a new environment.

I will also add that I honestly believe whether someone passes the bar or not has more to do with the individual than the school they attend. Whether you went to Harvard or Cooley if you don't put the long hours of studying and practice exams in it is unlikely to go well and whether puts those hours in or chooses to Party, procrastinated or whatever else is up to them.

Maintain FL 350:
Very interesting results.

I agree with livinglegend that personal motivation is a huge factor. But when I see the incredibly low pass rates of many of the unaccredited and CBE schools it makes me think that they are simply admitting too many people who should not be in law school. A significant number of unaccredited schools had zero first time passers, and that's after the FYLSE has weeded out quite a few. I don't know if the problem is with students, the program, or both but having consistently low pass rates indicates a problem.

I also think it's interesting that many lower ranked CA schools have significantly better pass rates than much higher ranked out of state schools. For example, La Verne beat schools like Boston College, Minnesota, and Notre Dame. Golden Gate beat American, ASU, and many others. Southwestern beat Vanderbilt!

I don't accept that this is necessarily due to the advantage of being able to study CA law. When I was in law school in CA I think I took one CA specific class (community property). All of the other CA law I learned in BARBRI along with the out of staters. Considering how difficult the CA bar exam is, I think it's pretty impressive that a school can take students with lower GPA/LSAT numbers and still beat top ranked schools on the bar exam. Maybe the well known difficulty of the CA bar makes the CA schools strive harder? I dunno, but it's interesting.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version