Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do lawyers have a better job market in more rural areas?  (Read 488 times)

tmeehan25

• View Profile
Do lawyers have a better job market in more rural areas?
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:41 AM »
I've wanted to be a lawyer for a while now and I'm in my freshman year of college.A lot of people that are close to me have been telling me to not go into law  lately. They all say the job market for lawyers is tough nowadays and that it's too risky. While I realize that is true everywhere, do lawyers have better chances in smaller regions? More specifically the Scranton area with about 550,000 people.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Do lawyers have a better job market in more rural areas?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
Frankly no matter what Industry you get into starting out will be tough. The reality is that anything worth having is a struggle and if you want to be a lawyer then go to law school. There are number of jobs for lawyers, but you have to go and get them the law is a tough profession and nothing will be handed to you.

As to your question often times in more rural areas legal work is easier to find as there is less competition. People at Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc are not likely to strive to work in Scranton nor are experienced attorneys typically looking to move to Scranton. The more rural you go the less lawyers will be around.

If you want to be a lawyer and have realistic expectations it can be a great career, I love it!

Good luck with whatever you decide and feel free to continue using this board.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »
Frankly no matter what Industry you get into starting out will be tough. The reality is that anything worth having is a struggle and if you want to be a lawyer then go to law school. There are number of jobs for lawyers, but you have to go and get them the law is a tough profession and nothing will be handed to you.

As to your question often times in more rural areas legal work is easier to find as there is less competition. People at Harvard, Yale, Stanford etc are not likely to strive to work in Scranton nor are experienced attorneys typically looking to move to Scranton. The more rural you go the less lawyers will be around.

If you want to be a lawyer and have realistic expectations it can be a great career, I love it!

Good luck with whatever you decide and feel free to continue using this board.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:51 PM »
I have no idea what the legal market is like in Scranton specifically, but here are some general rules that are applicable to just about everyone.

If you are realistic, motivated, and flexible you will likely find work. If you are unrealistic, inflexible, and feel entitled to a high starting salary you will unemployed for a long time.

It seems like many of the people who can't find work are unrealistic and inflexible. To them being a lawyer means working at a firm and making a big starting salary. They think that taking nickel and dime civil cases or DUI cases is beneath them. They don't realize that the litigation experience is invaluable and makes them far more marketable. They will be unemployed for a long time.

A lot of people also think they can rely on their pedigree to open doors. If you graduate from a truly elite school this is true. But don't be fooled into thinking that the #84 ranked law school is going to give you a significantly better shot at employment than the #103 ranked school. Once you get away from elite national schools, you really need to consider local reputation and local connections.

So, if you seek employment in a smaller market you have to understand that you will not be making big money (at least initially), and you will likely be doing stuff like child support modifications, possession charges, and DUIs. If you're OK with that, then it may be the right move.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:53:18 PM »
Right on point the reality is that in the legal profession just like everything else you have to pay your dues. When you graduate from law school and pass the bar you are minimally competent to practice law. They will not and should not put you on a Death Penalty Case right away.

I see junior Public Defender's and D.A's when I have to do Pitchess Motions all the time and they are terrible, but they are just starting out and have a lot to learn. I have seen a lot of them improve tremendously over the years, but it takes time and you have to be realistic with your expectations.

nathan john

• View Profile
    • Bulgarian solicitor
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:26:45 AM »
It is true that there should be realistic expectations about realization as a lawyer in a particular branch. But I've always belived that the lawyer's job in the manner of defence of people's interests should be beared more as a kind of mission and less than a business opportunity. In other words - if you love this job, you won't be bothered in times of smaller income or not enough job - which unfortunately happens from time to time to our profession nowadays. This is what I can confirm as a practitioner. Good luck.
Veni, vidi, vici.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 01:51:34 AM »
Could not agree more it is not a profession you should do because you care about the Client, making a difference, etc if money is main goal, which there is nothing wrong with that then you probably will not enjoy your legal career. There are a frankly much better ways to make money than going to law school, but the knowledge, power, and ability to change things with a law degree is priceless if you really want to be a lawyer.