Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Late Cycle Consequences  (Read 888 times)

Samblackbones

• View Profile
    • Email
Late Cycle Consequences
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:20:22 PM »
I took my first LSAT December of 2013, and now am applying to schools. I scored 168, and have approximately a 3.62 lsdas GPA (based on a predictor). I graduated with PBK and Cum Laude honors from a reasonably prestigious UC. I am curious as to how badly applying now (mid January) will affect my scholarship/acceptance chances at:
USC
UCLA
U San Diego
Vanderbilt
WUSTL
Emory
I have gotten fee waivers from some of these schools, so I am assuming they are still encouraging applications - just not sure how poorly off I will be. 
168/3.6

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Late Cycle Consequences
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 12:55:02 AM »
Not sure - you could go through lawschoolnumbers.com of last year's cycle. Look up people that applied to the school you want, at similar times, and with similar numbers/backgrounds. Generally, applying later in the cycle would most affect borderline applicants. In other words, people with lsat/gpas far over a school's 75% (i.e. auto admits) are probably going to get in no matter when they apply. The opposite is true for auto denies. If you are in the middle, and on the lower end, then there may be fewer spots for you. You will be competing against a larger pool of applicants for less open slots. Its not inherently bad, just more difficult.

Good luck!

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 08:55:22 PM »
Frankly with your numbers I don't know if you will get a scholarship to any of those schools. You probably would to University of San Diego, but there other schools are very difficult to get into. A 168 is a great score and with a 3.62 you have a good chance at getting admitted to UCLA, USC etc, but typically these schools do not even offer scholarships since they are so competitive to get into.

Good luck

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
As Citylaw stated, you may have a hard time getting scholarships from most of these schools (save San Diego), but you've got a good shot at acceptance to all of them. Your numbers are about average for most of these schools.

One thing you need to consider is location, and where you want to live after law school. I suspect that you're basing your list on rankings alone, but beware. It's not as simple as that.

All of these schools are fine institutions and will offer a great education. But none are exactly what I would call "elite" national schools. They're more like very good regional schools. With the possible exception of Vanderbilt, they aren't really the kind of schools which you should expect to open doors out of state based on pedigree alone. Most of your internship and post grad job opportunities will be local, and it's actually quite difficult to show up in a new town after graduation and compete with the local talent.

For example, if you wanted to live in LA then UCLA and USC are the obvious choices. However, you may also want to think about shooting for a  a big scholarship at someplace like Loyola or Pepperdine rather than going into serious debt to attend a higher ranked school out of state. Your job opportunities in LA may in fact be better, even though the schools are lower ranked. Is the Los Angeles County DA going to recruit in St Louis or Atlanta? I doubt it. 

Something to consider, and good luck!