Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: New to this 155 LSAT 2.82 GPA, Biology Major  (Read 585 times)

momomasab

• View Profile
    • Email
New to this 155 LSAT 2.82 GPA, Biology Major
« on: January 06, 2014, 04:57:48 PM »
I am a recent graduate from a small liberal arts college. I studied Biology and a few months after graduating this past May I developed a strong interest in Law, which eventually lead me to gain interest in intellectual property. I plan on taking the Patent Agent exam by this summer.

I immediately acquired a job at an IP firm as a legal assistant/paralegal and shortly after signed up for the December LSAT with just over a month to prepare. Long story short, a new job and studying didn't turn out to be the best way to prepare for the exam. I am seeking advice in where I should apply for fall admission. I am looking at evening programs and I am really favoring St. Johns right now, I would appreciate feedback and advice as well as suggestions on part-time programs I should look at. I want to stay in NYC because I support my mother and my younger sister financially, and its also why I am looking at part time programs.

My GPA is low because my first 1.5 years of college were terrible due to crazy family circumstances, I am the oldest of five and first generation, and I play a huge part at home.  I went up the last 2.5 years and finished strong with some challenging semesters, sometimes juggling up to 4 lab courses on top of research and being a teachers assistant. Further my major grades were mostly As and Bs, only 1 C. Not sure how to calculate this GPA. I have a ton of biology research experience took crazy labs, and I also had a full scholarship in college.

So with a 155 LSAT and a 2.82 cumulative GPA...

Any advice on how I should proceed? Sorry I have no idea how to properly post on these sites

I appreciate all the help :) :) :) :)

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: New to this 155 LSAT 2.82 GPA, Biology Major
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
You have a few options. One is to retake the LSAT and shoot for a higher score, which would help you to gain scholarship money and increase your range of schools. This is something that only you can decide, however, since it may or may not be , and Brooklyn.worth your while. If you feel that you can increase your score, I would seriously consider this option.

As far as other schools in the NYC area, I would apply to all of the following and see if any offer a scholarship to help defray the considerable cost of attendance: Yeshiva, NY Law School, St. John's, Pace, Hofstra, CUNY, and Brooklyn.

Other Considerations

That said, there are some things you really need to consider. Don't take this as criticism, but with a 2.8/155 you may have a very hard time obtaining any scholarship offers. This means you will likely foot the entire bill yourself (probably $150,000).

Before you commit yourself to this kind of massive debt, take the time to research the job market in NYC, especially for graduates of lower ranked schools. It is very competitive, and you will likely not obtain a high starting salary. Paying back that kind of debt is no joke, especially on a low salary. With your background in biology you can try for jobs in patent law, but you will be competing with NYU, Columbia, and Cornell grads too.

It is important to be very realistic about your post grad options, and to have a Plan B. If you are happy with the idea that you may have to work as a family law attorney at a small firm, or defending DUI cases for a few years and hustling to get clients, then alright. But if you go to law school expecting a high salary and a big office, well, you may be disappointed.   

I want to stay in NYC because I support my mother and my younger sister financially, and its also why I am looking at part time programs.

This is a red flag. You need to think about whether or not this is the right time to go to law school. I graduated from a part time evening program and I can tell you from personal experience that it is brutal. Law school is far more demanding than undergrad, in fact it's not even close. You will be competing for grades against other students who are just like you: smart, competitive, and ambitious. Remember all the slackers in college? They never made it to law school. It's a different ball game and will require much, much more of your time and energy.

Attending law school while working and being responsible for a family that is dependent on your income is a very, very stressful scenario. In my experience, many people who have these kinds of responsibilities end up dropping out. I'm not trying to be negative, but as someone who has actually juggled law school and a family I can tell you that this is something you need to seriously consider. Law school is so expensive and so demanding that it doesn't make sense to try it out on a "trial basis"; you must be able to fully commit your time and energy to the process or you will not succeed.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and feel free to ask any questions on part time law study. 

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
As usual maintain offers some great advice and I would like to add onto it, but please remember anyone writing on this board or others myself included are nothing more than anonymous Internet posters so take any advice received on this site or others with a grain of salt.

With that said there are really two things to consider should you retake the LSAT and is law school with your current family dynamic realistic.

With a 2.82 and 155 you can get into some NY schools Touro, CUNY, Pace, maybe Albany if your in Upstate NYmaybe a Jersey school like Seton Hall could work if your in Manhattan. You are unlikely to get scholarship money though. If you retake and improve to 160-165 some scholarship money could come, but a 2.82 will limit you. It is also possible you won't improve, but only you know if you were able to give the LSAT everything you could when you got a 155.

Your family situation is a red flag and I usually think part time school is a bad idea, it works for some, but many part timers fail out and lose 50k in tuition. That is just part timers with no family obligations your situation sounds even more difficult. You can do it, but it may not work out well and I really think if law school is what you want go all in and become a full time student, because law school is intense and a joke compared to the bar exam, which you will eventually have to take.

If you are going to attend then I think a better option than St. Johns would be CUNY because it is about 20,000 a year cheaper or 60,000 cheaper over three years. You will also get the same for your money the reality is any ABA law school will teach you the same thing the law is the law and the supreme court cases you read do not change if you attend St. Johns or CUNY.

It is a very difficult whether to attend law school and where so I do recommend you visit the NY schools your interested in talk to professors, students, admins etc and see what your gut says after the visit. You know better than anybody else what works for you.

The law can be a great career for the right person and miserable for the wrong one. Go into law school with your eyes open and realistic expectations. I wish you the best whatever you decide

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
As usual maintain offers some great advice and I would like to add onto it, but please remember anyone writing on this board or others myself included are nothing more than anonymous Internet posters so take any advice received on this site or others with a grain of salt.

With that said there are really two things to consider should you retake the LSAT and is law school with your current family dynamic realistic.

With a 2.82 and 155 you can get into some NY schools Touro, CUNY, Pace, maybe Albany if your in Upstate NYmaybe a Jersey school like Seton Hall could work if your in Manhattan. You are unlikely to get scholarship money though. If you retake and improve to 160-165 some scholarship money could come, but a 2.82 will limit you. It is also possible you won't improve, but only you know if you were able to give the LSAT everything you could when you got a 155.

Your family situation is a red flag and I usually think part time school is a bad idea, it works for some, but many part timers fail out and lose 50k in tuition. That is just part timers with no family obligations your situation sounds even more difficult. You can do it, but it may not work out well and I really think if law school is what you want go all in and become a full time student, because law school is intense and a joke compared to the bar exam, which you will eventually have to take.

If you are going to attend then I think a better option than St. Johns would be CUNY because it is about 20,000 a year cheaper or 60,000 cheaper over three years. You will also get the same for your money the reality is any ABA law school will teach you the same thing the law is the law and the supreme court cases you read do not change if you attend St. Johns or CUNY.

It is a very difficult whether to attend law school and where so I do recommend you visit the NY schools your interested in talk to professors, students, admins etc and see what your gut says after the visit. You know better than anybody else what works for you.

The law can be a great career for the right person and miserable for the wrong one. Go into law school with your eyes open and realistic expectations. I wish you the best whatever you decide