Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Terrible Dec LSAT Score, Need Advice  (Read 2220 times)

Stoney

• View Profile
    • Email
Terrible Dec LSAT Score, Need Advice
« on: January 03, 2014, 05:48:14 PM »
Hey everyone,

I received my first LSAT score yesterday: 144. I was testing well into the high 150s and 160s so I don't know what happened(flu and anxiety) but that's nothing... I feel like an idiot. I plan on re-taking in June and will aim for a 160+ considering I will have around 6 months to study. From what I understand, schools no longer average, but will that '144' cause problems? It's such a low score, it'll turn off any ad-com regardless of whether they average or not? I should've have cancelled, but I felt okay about the test..

Thanks a lot as always everyone.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible Dec LSAT Score, Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:03 PM »
It depends on a few things.

1) Your next score. If you get a 140 - then you are in deep. If you get a 175, you are doing amazing.

2) The school. Some schools will average all scores together. This is particularly stinky if you get a really high score. The good news is, however, that most schools don't do this - rather, they will either take the higher score and ignore the others or look at all scores together holistically.

3) Presentation. The last thing that will affect how a school interprets your score is how you present it to them. The majority of schools will already be asking for an addendum if you have multiple scores. This essay will be key. Be honest... but present yourself in the strongest and most positive light.

Overall, a higher second score will put you in a better spot than where you currently are...

Now... whether you should take the test again is another issue. At a 144, you have quite a bit of room to improve upon, which is good. However, if there really wasn't much you could have done better, than it may be a waste of your time to study and retake. If you were sick, didn't study properly, etc., then it may be worth it.

Good luck!

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:34:49 PM »
practice scores on real lsats, or fakes?

Stoney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
It depends on a few things.

1) Your next score. If you get a 140 - then you are in deep. If you get a 175, you are doing amazing.

2) The school. Some schools will average all scores together. This is particularly stinky if you get a really high score. The good news is, however, that most schools don't do this - rather, they will either take the higher score and ignore the others or look at all scores together holistically.

3) Presentation. The last thing that will affect how a school interprets your score is how you present it to them. The majority of schools will already be asking for an addendum if you have multiple scores. This essay will be key. Be honest... but present yourself in the strongest and most positive light.

Overall, a higher second score will put you in a better spot than where you currently are...

Now... whether you should take the test again is another issue. At a 144, you have quite a bit of room to improve upon, which is good. However, if there really wasn't much you could have done better, than it may be a waste of your time to study and retake. If you were sick, didn't study properly, etc., then it may be worth it.

Good luck!

Miami88 thanks a lot for your informative reply, I really appreciate it. If I screw up again in June, I'm just gonna forget about law school, so it's really a 160+ or nothing for me. And yeah I'm definitely not going to apply to Yale or Harvard, but moderate schools in the 20s, and I'm assuming they most likely won't average scores. I just hope the 144 won't make them say "eww" although I might have a 167 on my retake..I have 6 months to study, so I'm really gonna change up my prep method and hope for the best. Thanks again!

Stoney

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
practice scores on real lsats, or fakes?

Hello Julie,
I took the real LSATs.

tampadave

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »
My daughter scored 145 in October and 157 in December.  During the time preceding the October test, she worked full-time for a law firm and took a full-time LSAT prep course evenings and weekends.  Following the October exam, she maintained her job and studied alone almost every evening at Caribou Coffee until the very day of the LSAT.  You can certainly improve your score.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »
"full-time lsat prep course"?  what dat?

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
This is the reality practice scores are practice and the real thing is a differ t ballgame, but having the courage to actually take the LSAt is something to be proud of. I cannot tell you how many people put it off for years only to never take it.

With that said depending on your GPA there are several ABA schools you may be able to attend with a 144

Appalachian, Florida Coastal, Cooley, Touro. To name a few. A 144 is not amazing, but it putsyou roughly in the top 40-50 percent of test takers and you are probably capable of passing a states bar exam and becoming a lawyer.

There is no harm in retaking I believe the vast majority of schools simply take your highest score so you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by retaking, but check to with schools you are interested in to make sure that is the case.

Another thing I would recommend is apply to schools with your current GPA LSAT and tell them you are planing on retaking the February LSAT. They will likely not make decision until your next score is received, but again confirm you can do that with individual schools. I am just some guy on the Internet and the admissions at each schools will be netter qualified to tell you about their individual polices than some anonymous Internet poster such as myself.

Good luck and be proud of yourself for having the courage to take the LSAT.

tampadave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:59:44 PM »
"full-time lsat prep course"?  what dat?

I think she took the Blueprint course for $1,000 plus. Two to three days a week, as I recall.

The 12 point increase in score should help her quite a bit.  I hope the schools consider the reputation of the school (Ohio State) in reviewing her 3.1 GPA.  It's not Harvard, but it is certainly not EasyAsPie U. either. She attended OSU as a recruited athlete (rowing).  The combination of Division I athletics and sorority fun definitely affected her grades the first year, but she displayed an upward trend thereafter. I hope the 157 LSAT offsets the lower GPA.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »
I hope the schools consider the reputation of the school (Ohio State) in reviewing her 3.1 GPA.  It's not Harvard, but it is certainly not EasyAsPie U. either. She attended OSU as a recruited athlete (rowing).  The combination of Division I athletics and sorority fun definitely affected her grades the first year, but she displayed an upward trend thereafter.

The conventional wisdom is that your undergrad college's reputation usually doesn't play a role unless it's a truly elite institution. Think, Harvard, Stanford, MIT, etc.

OSU is definitely a good, reputable public university but it probably won't either help or hurt her chances very much. The fact is, someone with a 3.5 GPA from a lesser known school is more competitive than a 3.0 from a well known school. The idea is that at the vast majority of colleges, even those with strong reputations, it is not difficult to obtain a 3.0 GPA.

Her rowing experience is a good soft factor, though.

I hope the 157 LSAT offsets the lower GPA.

It just depends on where she wants to go. Having a 3.1/157 is a decent numeric profile, and certainly enough to get into many mid-range law schools. It's not Harvard level, but enough to get in somewhere. Law school admission is very much a numbers game, despite what law school brochures may say. I would advise her to look at the law school profiles on LSAC. They will provide her with a very good idea as to her chances at any given school. 

Best of Luck!