Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law schools in DFW  (Read 310 times)

scottwest

• View Profile
Law schools in DFW
« on: December 27, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are moving to DFW in 2014 and I am interested in attending law school.  My undergraduate GPA is 3.88 and hopefully my MBA (Sam Houston State University) GPA will be 3.90, although I have read that admissions does not take that into account.  I am scheduled to take the LSAT in February.

Here is my dilemma:

I am a veteran and can use the Hazelwood Act for state schools, A&M Law or UNT Law, however UNT is not currently accredited and A&M is not T1 like SMU.  Would it be better to go to A&M and graduate debt free or go into debt and attend SMU?  I plan to apply to all three and the question assumes I can get into all three.  I am 30 and have work experience in Oil and Gas and Finance so I would like to practice Oil & Gas, Corporate, and Contract law in the DFW area. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law schools in DFW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:09:15 PM »
First off... I'd apply to all the schools you want to go to, see where you get accepted, fight as hard to get scholarships/need-based fin. aid, and THEN figure out where you want to go. As of right now, there are just way too many unknowns to make an informed decision. So, instead of worrying about projected acceptances, I'd invest 100% of your free time on LSAT prep. The better that score is, the more options you will have later on.

That said... decision committees, depending on the school, may take your grad. school GPA into account as a soft factor. The bulk of the decision, however, will be based on your LSAT score and LSDAS GPA (which may be different from your school's GPA). Other factors, like your veteran status (which will prob. give you the strongest bump), will help sway a decision, but not make it.

Finally, when you are looking at schools, you have to figure out your own personal list of priorities. This is going to be different from person to person as we all have our own specific circumstances. If you are already in your 40s, have a bunch of kids, and want to retire by 60, then going into 250k of debt for a school whose employment statistics are weak and avg. starting salary is 50k... well, no one needs to tell you thats prob. a bad idea. If you are in your early 20s, no kids, no wife, then going into 75k of debt for, say, Harvard, is prob. worth it.... Figure out what is most important to you. i.e. Location, Employment Statistics, Salary Expectations (both best case and worst case scenario), Regional Pull, Industry Pull, Specialization, Environment/Vibe, Rank/Prestige, etc. It also wouldn't hurt to talk to some lawyers in the jobs that you may want.

Anyways, good luck!