Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Weird split, looking for some advice  (Read 441 times)

freudianbulldog

• View Profile
Weird split, looking for some advice
« on: December 26, 2013, 10:03:37 PM »
Hello all,

I'm a splitter from a UC (2.8 cumulative GPA) that made some bad decisions during the latter half of my undergraduate career. I tarnished my 3.8 major GPA (in Philosophy) to a 2.8 cumulative after thinking it would be a good idea to spend my Junior and Senior years competing with Pre-Med gunners in make-or-break hardcore sciences.

All those C's in Pre-Med cost me dearly, in effect, and I have a useless degree that I believe is not representative at all of how I would do in Law School. Regardless, there are no excuses, and I have something else to help me...a 170 LSAT. My softs: starting my own advertising business with ample pro bono work in the interim and working as a community organizer.

My question is, do I have a chance anywhere in Southern California? What are my chances in Texas? WUSTL? Given my odd split? Can it be explained away or does the adcom's computer algorithm unmercifully defenestrate me into a sea of 1s and 0s?

FWIW, I plan on adding an addendum to my application explaining my absolutely masochistic decision to ruin my GPA.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Weird split, looking for some advice
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 07:13:53 PM »
I have no idea... that 170 is going to be pretty attractive to any school outside of the top 20, regardless of your stinky GPA. I think you have a shot at USC, but you are going to have to bring it in the rest of your application.

I'd apply to a ton of reach schools - you never know how they will treat this level of split. 170 basically places you in the T14, I'm sure theres at least one that may take you. Also, I'd apply to a bunch of schools in the region you want to live/work, even if lower ranked, to snag big scholarships.

In the end, this is all speculation. Just make a perfect application, apply, and see what comes.

Good luck!