Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School to Offer Hybrid Online JD  (Read 1239 times)

cobes1996

• View Profile
    • Email
Law School to Offer Hybrid Online JD
« on: December 18, 2013, 03:47:45 PM »

lawyurd

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Law School to Offer Hybrid Online JD
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 07:15:32 AM »
This program starts in 2015 and it should be no surprise that the former president of Concord Law is behind this.

GovLaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »
In 20 years people will look back in disbelief at the short-sighted policies of the ABA and traditional law schools.  The JD will be offered in an entirely online environment, and cost will plummet.  That is my prediction for the future - now I must go to my flying car and speed off to my job in the cloud city.....

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 10:36:34 PM »
LOL!  $108,000 4 year estimated tuition for that....

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:25:16 AM »
I seriously don't even get the ABA's hangup over this. A law student can just as easily sit in a dorm room, apartment, or Starbucks, for that matter, and check Facebook while pretending to pay attention to a law school lecture via webcam, responding via microphone if called on, and have the same pathetic experience as law school students are having now, likely in a more comfortable chair. The only real difference is networking, and that usually takes place outside class anyway.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »
It is all about protecting the big bucks law schools collect and the salaries paid the law professors and the endowments.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 05:20:13 AM »
I don't see how. Say you have a lecture hall with room for 100 students, conservatively. Add a computer or even two, a webcam to cover the goings-on of the lecturer, and a set of speakers powerful enough to be heard throughout the room, and you now have a lecture hall with room for enough students as the web connection can handle. Literally thousands, all paying essentially the same price students are paying now. Because if they're in law school at all, numbers and cost-benefit are not their strong suit anyway. If they were, they wouldn't be cutting their own throats paying what they do to go to law school and have such poor career prospects.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:41:31 AM »
Online instructors are paid maybe a tenth of of what law professors get, also a shift to online means one does not need high maintenance libraries nor all those adminstrative employees.  It means lean and mean competition in the law school business and lower tuition.  That does not bode well for the dinosaurs at the ABA.  There is also the same struggle going on in the business of law, disruptors like Avvo show that clients are not necessarily wed to the old school law firm model of providing legal services at $300 an hour.  Most services, aside  from court room litigation, can be provided via Internet. effectively and cheaper.  This also means a blurring of jurisdictional lines which is the death knell for the state bars who are unable to effectively regulate due to their territorial based model from the 19th Century.  The ABA and its allies will resist innovation until the market sends them to the dust bin of history along with the buggy whip and horse shoe.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 07:24:19 PM »
I'm still a 0L, but there really is something to be said about real human interaction. For the majority of law schools, and more importantly, law school students, this may not really be the case, but I don't see, say, Yale dropping their face-to-face classrooms any time soon. That said, it is great for the lower ranked schools to have a way to offer a legal education at an understandably lower tuition. However, the question remains if we really need all those lawyers... I guess the market will figure itself out - hopefully not too many people get swallowed up into a sea of debt in the meanwhile though.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
The market will regulate the population of lawyers, if law grads can't find work as lawyers, they will become gainfully employed as shoe salesmen, insurance agents, venture capitalists or hoboes.  Therefore no reason anyone who wants to go to law school and can pay the fee and graduate should be denied that experience.