Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UK or USA for post grad law degree  (Read 529 times)

cpc273

• View Profile
    • Email
UK or USA for post grad law degree
« on: December 12, 2013, 12:19:02 AM »
I am currently finishing up my undergraduate degree in the US and I am planning on applying for law schools. However, I have talked to several people and I was told that there is a way to get my law degree in a shorter period of time in  the UK compared to the US since I already have a bachelor's degree. Is this information correct? I heard approximately within 1.5 - 2 years, you'll be able to obtain a law degree in the UK. which would be a better option? (I also have intentions on practicing in Singapore, which I know they are also more accepting of UK degrees compared to US degrees)

Please advise, I would appreciate your inputs. :)

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UK or USA for post grad law degree
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
If you really want to be a Singapore lawyer, you obviously start by looking at their requirements first:

http://www.mlaw.gov.sg/practising-as-a-lawyer/unis.html

However, generally you must be a Singapore citizen or permanent resident to qualify.

cpc273

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:32:32 AM »
Thanks for replying. I have viewed their website multiple times. I am a citizen and I have also taken note of the particular law schools in the USA and UK that they recognize. However, I am still curious as to how long it would take me to be able to start practicing depending on which path I take to attain my law degree and practicing license.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 11:07:43 PM »
3 years but Singapore only recognizes 4 US law schools:

Columbia University
Harvard University
New York University
University of Michigan

http://www.mlaw.gov.sg/practising-as-a-lawyer/admission/req/qp/usa.html

But a US degree would make the least sense of the Singapore, UK, Australia, and NZ law schools that are recognized there since US law would least resemble Singapore law.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »
My question is, why not attend law school in Singapore if you plan to live there? That would make the most sense.

Other than that, I think you'd be better off with a UK law degree regardless of whether or not the program is shorter, since the Singaporean system has more in common with the UK than with the US. Additionally, although I have no idea what your numeric qualifications are, getting accepted to Harvard, etc is no small feat.

I doubt if the time to complete the degree and begin practicing is all that different between the US and UK schools, maybe one year at the most. Even if you finish the UK law degree in two years you'll still have to prepare for the Singapore bar exams (I presume), and wait for results.

If you do in fact get accepted to someplace like Harvard, however, the degree has much more international cache than the vast majority of UK universities, save for Oxford/Cambridge. I've travelled all over the world, and elite US universities such as those listed are held in very high regard just about everywhere. That could be a huge advantage.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 07:41:38 PM »
Attending law school in Singapore to become a Singapore lawyer is too logical. Really it does make sense to attend law school where you intend to qualify first.