Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is my major right in preparing for law school?  (Read 8980 times)

jskittykins1

• View Profile
Is my major right in preparing for law school?
« on: November 23, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
I'm in my third year of my undergrad and I am a Public Policy major with a concentration in Non-Profit leadership. The school I go to ranks fairly well in it, among the top thirty. I am currently interning in the Immigration Services department in the office of a well-known refugee resettlement/humanitarian non-profit relief organization. The case workers in my office are accredited representatives for doing immigration legal work and that is what I assist with. I now want to go to law school and become an immigration lawyer or an Asylum Officer for DHS.

Should I stay a Policy Major? My school has a Philosophy major with a concentration in pre-law. I do very well in Economics, so there could be that. My final idea is Political Science with a concentration in International Affairs, as I think that would prepare me well for dealing with immigration policies in the future.

Help me out! I want to know which one is the best option not only for LSATs, law school, etc but also for helping me be on track to work in immigration.

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
Re: Is my major right in preparing for law school?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »
Don't worry about it. Your major doesn't matter at all. The two most important factors are your GPA and your score on the LSAT. If you're getting good grades, keep doing what you're doing.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 01:24:12 PM »
Agreed. No undergrad major will really help you prepare for the LSAT anyway, only an LSAT prep course will do that. A degree in Public Policy will be just as useful for the purposes of law school admission as a degree in Poly Sci, or for that matter, a degree in English or History. Your GPA and LSAT will dominate the process to a remarkable extent. Focus on getting high grades and (especially) the highest possible LSAT score. 

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
As the posters above said don't worry about your major. Schools care about your final undergrad GPA and if your doing well in policy stay with that. Additionally, there is no college
Major that will improve your LSAT score or how you will perform in law school. The only way to do well on the LSAT is to practice taking the LSAT.  One additional thing to note is you should not pick a major for law school there are no prereqs and since your only in your third year of college you might very well change your mind about law school in a year, but yor major will stay with you. Therefore, make your studying something you enjoy.

As for the immigration aspect that is something you can work on now and I encourage you to expose yourself to the law az much as possible to make sure law is right for you. I encourage you to volunteer at immigration clinics or talk to your schools pre-law advisor and see if they can set you up with an immigration gig.

If to enjoy it and have prior immigration experience it will be helpful. Also if you really want to do immigration law learn languages the majority of people in need of immigration lawyers either do not speak English or don't speak it well enough to communicate what they want. More importantly potential clients are more likely to go to someone that can speak their language.

Good luck!