Law School Discussion

Entering Law School in USA

Entering Law School in USA
« on: November 20, 2013, 07:45:50 AM »
We're two Swedish students that are looking forward to study law in the States, however, there is one issue: We don't know what or how to come about this.

What is needed/required to study in the States (preferably New York/California)?
We've already talked to a guidance about college/university and apparently our high school degree here in Sweden is equivalent to 3 years of College in the States, which means that we'll have to study one year at college before continuing university.

Our questions are;
When are the applications for LSAT open? What is needed for LSAT? What books do we need? How do we even prepare for LSAT?
Has anyone done the LSAT and can explain to us how you prepare for it?
What tests (English tests) are required for Law School?
What kind of Visa is required?
Any college in NY/California we should apply to?

NOTE: We're not exchange students, we want to permanently live/stay and work in the States

Are there people out there in this forum that have gone through this and can help us?

Thank you in advance,
Melissa and Asha

Re: Entering Law School in USA
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 10:16:28 PM »
I responded to this question in another thread and a copy/paste of my response there is below.

All the information you will need can be found on LSAC here is the link for LSAC and here is the specific link for future JD Students

The LSAT is offered four times a year and you apply through LSAC as an FYI LSAC is an acronym for the Law School Admissions Council. You will need to create an LSAC account and wants that is done you can register for the LSAT here . Applying for the is fairly easy, but you need to pay approximately $150 U.S. Dollars.

Additionally it does look like you can take the LSAT in a few European countries here is a list of international test centers.

You will also need to take the TOEFL test and obtain a certain score I believe it varies by law school for international students, but I am not 100% sure.

When I was in law school there were a few international students that went through the program full time and I know you do not need to be a United States Citizen to be licensed to practice law in California.

Another route you can do is get a law degree in Europe then enroll in a one year LLM program in the United States. I met a lot of international students that did this, because it allows you to sit for the bar exam with only one year of law school in America.

If you have additional questions feel free to comment and never hesitate to contact law schools you are interested in. Below is a link to every California ABA law school and New York Law School.


New York

If you have additional questions feel free to post or send me a private message.

Re: Entering Law School in USA
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 04:03:31 PM »
Your high school is equivalent to 3 years of college?  I'd get that in writing, not someone told you.