Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Biology Major Law Student  (Read 1517 times)

llaurenn9

• View Profile
Biology Major Law Student
« on: October 30, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »
I am a second year biology major at UCSB right now. My GPA (overall) is a 3.57, but my science GPA is lower.
I know I am better at humanities courses, but I really enjoy Biology and I would like to continue pursuing a degree in it, but will this hinder me for law school acceptance? Should I switch majors to get a higher GPA? Any help would be appreciated!

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Biology Major Law Student
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »
I really enjoy Biology and I would like to continue pursuing a degree in it, but will this hinder me for law school acceptance?

No, a degree in biology will not hurt in you when it comes to law school acceptance. If anything, it may help you stand out from the sea of English/Poly Sci/Business majors. Law schools don't seem to care much about your undergrad major. I suppose a degree like Dance or Landscape Architecture might not be considered especially good preparation, because there is very little reading, writing, and logical argumentation involved. Even then it might not matter much.   

Should I switch majors to get a higher GPA? Any help would be appreciated!

This is a somewhat different question, because law schools do care about your GPA. I can't tell you what you should major in, but whatever you decide you've got to get high grades. Your GPA and LSAT will almost entirely determine your law school options. It is very much a numbers game, and they care more about the actual numbers than they do about specific majors, grade trends, major vs. overall GPA, etc. People worry about these things, but in most cases they make very little difference.

Personally, I wouldn't drop something I loved just to boost my GPA. It's difficult to divine the future, and you may end up doing worse than you think. The upper division humanities seminars you'll take in your junior and senior year are considerable more demanding than the intro lecture courses. I think most people do better when they study something they like. Just my two cents.   

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
Re: Biology Major Law Student
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
If you really enjoy biology you should stick with it. You can use the biology degree in the practice of law and a science degree will make you stick out when applying for legal jobs although it will not make much of a difference in law school acceptance.

Also if this is only your sophomore year of college there is a real possibility your goals or priories will change and law school will be put on the back burner and you will have a degree in humanities instead of biology, which is what you really enjoy.

A 3.57 is also a pretty good GPA so it sounds like your doing fine and in reality whether you get into law school will depend heavily on your LSAT even if you have a 4.0 if you get a 140 on the LSAT you may not be able to get in anywhere. There is no predicting how you will handle the LSAT and again if you pursue a degree in humanities and end up with a poor LSAT score and cannot get admitted then you have given up a degree in something you enjoy.

If you want to boost your GPA take a few freebie classes like Frisbee Golf, Weightlifting, Art History, etc

Hope that information is helpful, but realize I or anyone else posting on these boards is nothing more than an anonymous internet poster so take it all with a grain of salt.