Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should a good Lsat book be for beginners?  (Read 1779 times)

miriam94

• View Profile
    • Email
What should a good Lsat book be for beginners?
« on: October 24, 2013, 08:38:07 PM »
I am currently a undergrad student majoring in Computer Science  and minoring in Criminal Justice but I want to become a lawyer and I have heard it doesn't really matter what you major it. I want to know what book I should start using to study for the LSATs? I am a sophomore and I am planning to take the LSAT my first semester of senior year.
Which book do you prefer for beginners?

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What should a good Lsat book be for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:40:36 AM »
There are plenty of books out there, but all you can really do is practice the test questions.

Go straight to the LSAC practice test http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/jd-docs/sampleptjune.pdf I think this is the June 2007 LSAT and get as many from LSAC as possible. Keep taking the tests learn the nuances and you will get a score.

Your major doesn't mean much as far as law school admissions, but since your only a sophomore do not change your major decision based on possibly attending law school. A lot can happen in the next two years and you may change your mind or you may not score as highly as you need to on the LSAT. Just don't make life altering decisions in undergrad based on possibliy wanting to go to law school stick with the major you want now.

In the meantime just practice LSAT questions and take a diagnostic test that is the first step and see what you think. Some people sit down for a diagnostic and hate it so much there desire to attend law school goes away in three hours others love it and that really is the first thing you should do sit down and take a diagnostic test use the link I provided. http://www.lsac.org/docs/default-source/jd-docs/sampleptjune.pdf that is an actual LSAT give yourself three hours and take it under real conditions as suggested in the instructions and see what you think.

Good luck.

Dave11

• View Profile
    • Law School Prep HQ
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 05:06:28 PM »
I agree with the answer above, start with a practice test. Make sure it's an official one from LSAC.
The general study guides don't help you that much, in my opinion. Once you've taken a practice test, you'll be more familiar with the test and can get into the more focused individual section guides like the powerscore bibles, etc. or the test explanations. But you've got lots of time before you really need to start studying. Good luck.

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 07:30:47 PM »
I really liked the Kaplan books myself. Powerscore would be a close second. My only qualm with powerscore is that it is overly eager to fit things into specific categories. Categorization should simply be pedagogical tool to help a student remember items. Kaplan does a nice job of balancing this with the practical application of techniques/methodology. (fyi - I really disliked the Princeton Review for LSAT prep)

I'm personally not a huge fan of the initial diagnostic test. It seems like a little bit of a waste. Regardless of your intellectual abilities, you will have no idea what you are looking at, let alone how to deal with it efficiently.

My advice is, in your free time before you start prep, read up on the test. Get to know what, generally speaking, it is all about. Maybe even start exposing yourself to some methodology. This way, when you jump in to actual prep, you will have a nice foundation of work from.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:53:40 PM »
Can't argue with the other posters if your only a sophmore you have plenty of time to prepare and I think anyone will tell you practice makes perfect. The more practice tests you take the better off you will be. Part of me thinks the books are a bit overrated, but to each their own.

Good luck .

haus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:57:07 AM »
I have found the LSAT Trainer to be very helpful.

The author provides several chapters for free on his website.

http://www.thelsattrainer.com/free-chapters