Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Distance Learning  (Read 2213 times)

cusc2011

• View Profile
Re: Distance Learning
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
We can go at this all day but I choose not too.   I originally posted this thread on purpose, asking how other students were doing in their distance learning studies, since this is a distance learning forum.  I already knew that I wouldn't really get any responses from current students in DL programs and I knew it would turn into something else LOL.  I have come to realize this is an anti - distance learning forum, mostly patrolled by the same people.

Best of luck to everyone in what every direction you choose to complete your legal education.   I will be finish with my degree in 7 months, then on to a US LLM to further my education.

jennid1234

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2013, 04:20:18 PM »
Bar pass rates. 

I just received this from CLS - the schools bar pass rates since the students started taking the Cal Bar Exam: 

Since Concord graduates started sitting for the General Bar Examination in February 2003, 862 graduates have taken the exam. They have an ultimate pass rate of 52.3% (302 first time and 149 repeat-taker passers, for a total of 451 graduates passing).

JD via online, it is available. On another note, credible?  Is the degree credible, I think  it is the October issue of Los Angeles Lawyer, cover photo is a CLS grad!  NICE!  Plus I know 4 CLS grads who opened a law firm in OC this past year! 

We online learners must take another exam: the FYLSE, which I think there are about 100 CLS students taking that today. 

CLS Stat's on passing: Since Concord students started sitting for the First Year Law Studentsí Examination in October 1999, 3,122 students have taken the exam. They have an ultimate pass rate of 48.9% (1,015 first-time and 513 repeattaker passers, for a total of 1,528 students passing).

I was a repeater on the FYLSE, passed 2nd time around.  So what does this all mean?  I think the ABA better wake up! We are going to better than those traditional graduates soon, we work harder, play harder and even open up profitable law firms together and DON'T overbill our clients like XYZ or ACME LP mainstream firms are doing now. 

I read a book recently about this trade being a dead end, the end of lawyers.  Don't believe it, we onliners are changing the playing field for the better.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 12:49:58 AM »
I am not against online learning and I think it can be great for the right person. I also think anyone who is capable of passing the California Bar Exam is very intelligent and can succeed as an attorney.

The only thing I think raises an issue in online education is law school is very difficult and it is hard to stay focused for the majority of people without other people around them. Worker's that work from home are traditionally less productive than those in an office.

People who buy the home work out equipement rarely use it and those who attend a gym will generally exercise more. The simple fact is having other people around motivates people more,  but there are plenty of people who do not need that kick of other's around and it may even be distracting to certain people.

To each their own, but I think you really need to know if your disciplined enough to complete an Online Law School if you are then more power to you.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2013, 08:04:29 PM »
I also have tried to warn that this may not even result in a bar ticket. Unless he has a firm committment in writing from the Cal Bar that they will accept a foreign distance learning LLB plus LLM; I have my doubts the bar will comply. The Cal Bar as I have noted before is not obligated to accept just any foreign LLB - would they accept a LLB from UNISA or University of Zimbabwe absent a license - I am not so sure.  I think the bar will look at the degree itself and make a decision and since it is a DL degree and not Oxford, the result may be in question. 

However I do disagree, a LLB plus LLM and bar course is likely just as good as a California DL JD - that is to say about 5-1 odds against passing.

If it was me - I'd go for the solicitor license first and then the the US Bar.

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2013, 08:06:45 PM »
By the way I have an online JD and then did the QLTT - so I am not anti DL, I am just warning you the bars are not your friend in these matters and to get it in writing....

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2013, 09:16:35 PM »
Agreed each state bar has their own rules and you don't want to go through law school only to find out you cannot get licensed or have to go through a Supreme Court battle to obtain a license.

California is probably the most liberal of states when allowing individuals to take the exam, but even they have restrictions and they can decide to say no so as Jonlevy suggests get everything in writing and talk to the State Bar before you are interested in joining prior to paying a dime in tuition.

If the school can you get a bar exam ticket then you can get a license and once your licensed you have the ability to practice law and whether you succeed or fail will be up to you.

greg8

• View Profile
    • Local Handyman London
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 03:10:43 AM »
I have read all the discussion posted here. Actually, I'm thinking if there is distance learning for law when I see this thread. I get confuse in taking bar exam. Is it possible to take bar exam if you took distance learning in UK (e.g) but you were residing outside UE? How?

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
Each jurisdiction will have their own rules about who can dot for the bar exam and nobody on this. Board or any Other anonymous Internet poster can give you a solid answer. I would contact the bars of jurisdictions you are interested in directly and ask them about their policy on distance education some will likely approve others will not and getting answers directly from the source prior to embarking on a 3 year 100k degree about whether you can actually sit for the bar is a good idea.

Good luck

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2013, 09:48:38 PM »
If you contemplate going down some unknown road like an English online law degree - submit your plan to the state bar first and get an opinion in writing.  California has a process for this.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 10:53:23 AM »
Yes do not leave it to chance make sure you can sit for the bar exam and get confirmation in writing directly from the source.