Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Distance Learning  (Read 2408 times)

cusc2011

• View Profile
Distance Learning
« on: September 30, 2013, 10:50:16 PM »
Curious to know how folks are progressing with their distance learning studies.  I came on this site 2 yrs ago, read all the pros and cons but in the end made my own decision.  I'm in my 3rd and final year of law school in the UK.  I don't regret it, I received an excellent education thus far for less than 5K.

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Distance Learning
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 04:05:20 PM »
Wow, under 5k for a JD is amazing. Distance learning can be the right choice for the right student. I think the key is understand what you're getting into before you start and to be fully informed as to any potential obstacles. The people I know who went the DL route with their eyes wide open did fine. The ones who were either uninformed or simply refused to acknowledge the realities were usually disappointed. It just depends on the individual.

cobes1996

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
cusc2011 - This may be a dumb question, but you state that you are attending a UK school.  Are you located in the US?

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »
Which UK law school is under 5K? 

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 10:00:49 PM »
Northumbria Law School cost me 1200 GBP Year 1, 920 GBP Year 2, and 950 GBP Year 3.   Year 1 is your biggest expense, from there  your tuition drops for the remaining years, you only paying a continuing student fee and assessment fee.  This fee went up slightly this year from 920 to 950 GBP.   The total program cost me 3,070 GBP so its close to 5k or slightly under 5K.   

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 08:53:04 PM »
That's a bargain, what would a non EU resident pay?

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:59:54 PM »
I'm a non EU resident, I'm in the distance learning program.  I live in the US.  The school is great not just law program but very innovative school.  I use to my own sport agency and I sent a couple US athletes to their National team plus I'm interested in law.  The University owns a men and women professional basketball team, and one of my former clients now lives in the UK and is getting a masters degree there.  Anyway, I guess there are no current distant learning students on this site.   I was curious to know how folks from other distant learning programs were doing/ progressing in their programs.

cobes1996

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:02:25 AM »
Question for you.  Is your intent to finish this school and then sit for the US (pick a state) bar exam?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »
Question for you.  Is your intent to finish this school and then sit for the US (pick a state) bar exam?

I think foreign law grads are typically limited to CA and NY. I believe that California has some kind of reciprocal agreement with the UK, which makes it possible for some UK law grads to sit for the CA bar exam. My understanding is that most states will not entertain the idea of a foreign law degree, period, and that even CA is unlikely to admit non-UK foreign lawyers. 

cusc2011

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
I have a plan in place, I may check back in next year and post the status.  California will allow foreign attorneys sit for the bar exam but you have to be liscensed somewhere it can be civil or common law country. If you are not licensed then you have to complete First Year of a US law program or enroll in a 1 yr US LLM program in American Legal Studies or US Legal Studies, name of program various on law program but it must cover US Law and Califorina Professional Responsibility course.  Best of luck to you.