Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Has anyone had any experience with St. Francis or SoCAL?

?
 0 (0%)
?
 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: October 05, 2013, 06:04:07 AM

Author Topic: St. Francis Law  (Read 1518 times)

DeltaBravoKS

• View Profile
Re: St. Francis Law
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »
...Concord is  the only school which has both accreditation with CA Bar and is regionally certified with US Dept of Ed....

Concord is accredited with the CA Bar?  Can you please elaborate on that?  I'm not aware of the CA Bar accrediting any online school.  Is this new or are you referring to being registered with the CA Bar?

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 06:39:22 PM »
I just wanted to know any opinions and/or experiences with either Southern California or St. Francis Law Schools?

I don't have any personal experience with either school, but the same caveats that would apply to any DL program are applicable here. Think seriously and realistically about what you're trying to do with the JD and let that guide your decision making process. An online JD may be fine if you intend to be a solo practitioner in California, but you will not be able to get admitted to most other states regardless of the handful of anecdotal stories about people successfully petitioning various state bars. Even in CA most firms and government agencies are suspicious of online JDs, and it will be more difficult to find a job.

JonLevy has good advice, look at the individual schools' FYLSE and bar pass rates. Also look at how long the school has been around, and if their pass rates are consistent. I believe the Calbar website lists pass rates for the last five or six years.

Taft seems to be fully accredited with everyone EXCEPT ABA and cannot answer even dumb questions.  But they do get TITLE IV funds - and people wander what is wrong with the system. . . .

Concord is  the only school which has both accreditation with CA Bar and is regionally certified with US Dept of Ed.  Its policies mirror the ABA standards.

Concord is not accredited by the CA bar, in fact no DL program is accredited by any state bar or the ABA. This means that you will still have to take the FYLSE, and won't be eligible for admission to most states.

Taft is also not accredited by any state bar, same caveats apply. Taft does have a better record than most. They have a longer track record, better pass rates over a longer period of time, and are cheaper. (I'm not a Taft grad, this isn't a plug).

Bottom line: DL can be the right choice for the right person, but you really need to understand what you're getting into and the inherent limitations of the degree. That said, I've met successful attorneys from unaccredited schools. You just have to be realistic. 

jonlevy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
Concord is regionally accredited but not by the state bar.  That means a Concord JD in theory is marginally better because it also has some academic standing if one wanted to enter a non law graduate program later or try for a job based on the JD alone.

http://www.concordlawschool.edu/Accreditation.aspx

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 01:08:37 AM »
Concord is regionally accredited but not by the state bar.  That means a Concord JD in theory is marginally better because it also has some academic standing if one wanted to enter a non law graduate program later or try for a job based on the JD alone.

http://www.concordlawschool.edu/Accreditation.aspx

I suppose that might be true, but I doubt the advantage is more than minimal. For the purposes of law school accreditation only ABA or state bar accreditation matter. As far as non-law jobs, if they'd hire a Concord grad they'd probably hire a Taft/St. Francis/Cal Southern etc grad.

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 01:12:08 PM »
As far as legal careers go I doubt Concord would give you much of a leg up over the other on-line schools. However, it is possible that Concords accreditation may open the door to some other graduate program someone wanted to pursue.