Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law school and engineering undergrad?  (Read 2765 times)

xander787

• View Profile
Law school and engineering undergrad?
« on: September 07, 2013, 11:03:01 PM »
First of all, I really hope this post is correctly placed and I'm not asking a question that has been answered hundreds of times already. If I am in the wrong place I'd appreciate a referral to a forum better suited for my question.

A little bit about me: Iím about to go into my first year at UCLA, currently declared as an Electrical Engineering major, but over the last year or so Iíve taken a pretty big interest in applying to law school after undergrad, and thus, have been doing quite a lot of research on the law school applications process and the LSATs. Iíve done a lot of research on study plans, information about the LSAT, and have even taken the June 2007 practice test to see where I currently falls. On the practice test I scored a 166, My end goal, as Iím sure is the same as many othersí, is to get that score to the mid-to-high 170s by the time I decide to take the test.

So, I have a few questions. First of all, being currently declared as an engineering major, who are notorious for their low GPAs (only the top 5% of the engineering graduates at my school get a 3.86 or higher), I feel like I need to do really well on the LSAT to compensate. However, I also want to know whether I should rethink going down the engineering path in the first place because of the hindrance it puts on my GPA and the effect that may have on being able to get into a good law school. While I have read in some places that having an engineering degree in itself can be a bonus on applications, most of these people have focused on engineers using their degrees to become IP lawyers, a field Iím not exactly interested in getting into. So would it be advisable, if I am sure I want to go to law school and want to apply mostly to the T14 schools, to leave the engineering field entirely? My only worry in that is losing the job security that comes with having an engineering degree after undergrad versus common law school applicant majors such as political science, philosophy, or English.

Thanks so much for any and all input!

Miami88

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law school and engineering undergrad?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:54:59 AM »
A lot of these questions are, sadly, entirely on your shoulders. I would be skeptical on basing huge decisions like these on anonymous internet posters.

That said, basically every law schools - particularly the T14 - say to follow the major you most enjoy. Augment it with logic, research, writing-based courses if you can, but follow what you are passionate about. If that is engineering, do it. If that is music, do it. Do not follow a path just because of "job security." That may be a legitimate factor in your ultimate decision, however, is a rotten one to argue on your Personal Statement.

I would go over to your school's pre-law advisor to get their perspective. They will be able to offer much more detailed advice on how to navigate this whole thing than any of us.

Good luck!

IrrX

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • You find yourself in a very actionable position.
    • View Profile
    • Smith
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 09:51:49 PM »
There are more options available to you. Look into the USPTO, for example, to see if that might be something you can do after graduating with your engineering degree. Could save you a ton.
Note: Insults made by me apply to everything associated with the people and ideas being insulted, except for other people.

Quote from: IamAnXMan
IRRX, it seems you enjoy provocation and antagonism.

livinglegend

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • legalmatch
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 08:57:09 PM »
The patent bar is also an option, but again if your in the first weeks of freshman year of college focus on knocking out Freshman year before you get to ahead of yourself. Focus your attention on succeeding freshman year that way you have doors open to you later.

Also it is your Freshman year of college live a little bit your only 18-19 once law school, the patent bar, and the LSAT are not going anywhere and will still be there in the next few years.