Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSD Needs to Modernize Site  (Read 2078 times)

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSD Needs to Modernize Site
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2014, 09:06:09 PM »
Agreed. 

This site used to be THE site for pre-laws and law students.  I both received and gave out tons of real substantive advice about law school and the legal profession on this site. 

At some point around 2009 when the recession hit and the legal market took a severe downturn, all of the traffic that used to be here all moved over to TLS.

And you already know how they operate over there.
How does "the recession" link into people bouncing from one free site to another free site?
And I lurked on this site even last year and saw WAY more life than now

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
Agreed. 

This site used to be THE site for pre-laws and law students.  I both received and gave out tons of real substantive advice about law school and the legal profession on this site. 

At some point around 2009 when the recession hit and the legal market took a severe downturn, all of the traffic that used to be here all moved over to TLS.

And you already know how they operate over there.
How does "the recession" link into people bouncing from one free site to another free site?
And I lurked on this site even last year and saw WAY more life than now

If you think it was busy last year you should have seen it back in the day pre-2009.

We can only speculate as to why the traffic migrated from this website to TLS but if I had to guess I'd say it probably had something to do with the recession putting that much more focus on the economic viability of deciding to go to law school, which in turn made people focus on the financial investment aspect of what they were getting into, which in turn placed extra focus on going to only the top law schools as opposed to just going to any law school.

Don't get me wrong, there was always a TLS type crowd here on law school discussion but the beauty of law school discussion is that they were just one part of the overall crowd that we had here. You had the folks who were obsessed about rankings and Ivy League law schools and how much money they thought they were going to make as a first year associate in BigLaw, then you also had the folks who were looking to go to law school for other reasons. This site had all of them. But once the recession hit, it seems like all folks wanted to talk about was big law and whether or not they were going to be able to pay off six figure law school debt. TLS quickly became the place to talk about that. And still is to this day.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 02:37:36 PM »
I can see each site attracting its own element I guess. This site does have at least some online grad activity to it as an example. I know that TLS would spaz out and ban someone for even suggesting such a thing. I tried their site, but any site where the average person has 10,000 posts and never even sat the lsat once yet.............has about as much actually academic value as a Nandos site has artistic value.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 09:44:09 PM »
The blind leading the blind.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 11:40:43 PM »
The blind leading the blind.
willingly, while attacking those who try to guide them AWAY from the cliff............... :P

Maintain FL 350

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2014, 01:25:55 PM »
Updating the way in which new posts are shown wouldn't be a bad idea. Right now, it seems kind of wonky. Maybe just a list of all recent activity, like (dare I say it?) TLS.

Other than that, are the people who own this site actually interested in promoting it?

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2014, 05:15:37 PM »
Good question.  I can reach out to the owner and see if he's interested in tinkering with it.
Charles H. Houston

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2014, 06:45:19 PM »
How about finally fixing the search function?
Has that EVER worked???

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2014, 08:02:41 PM »
LSD use to have a format where they showed the five most recent posts, which was the height of the site.  I think that might be a good idea the current setup you can only see posts in certain sections and it is difficult to navigate.

I am not sure why it changed, but I enjoyed the old five most recent posts system and I thought it was easier to navigate than the current setup.

@_@

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2014, 11:32:50 PM »
LSD use to have a format where they showed the five most recent posts, which was the height of the site.  I think that might be a good idea the current setup you can only see posts in certain sections and it is difficult to navigate.

I am not sure why it changed, but I enjoyed the old five most recent posts system and I thought it was easier to navigate than the current setup.
the buttons under your avatar do that