Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why You Should Think Twice About Remaining in Law (or Going to Law School)  (Read 1945 times)

Citylaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Agree 100% why not at least try and open your firm. If you continue volunteering 50 Hours a week you will never get out of the situation you are in.

Maybe volunteer one day a week, but your working more than most people who are getting paid full salaries/benefits etc are.

I truly think the reason you are struggling is that your volunteering and has nothing to do with the legal market. Maybe I am wrong, but it sounds like what you are doing is not working so change it.

There are plenty of opportunities for family law attorneys. Join your local bar association for referrals, sign up on sites like http://www.legalmatch.com/, and go to your school's career service website to learn how to open a firm.

There are also sites http://myshingle.com/resources/startalawfirm/ that can help you figure out how to start a firm. If Family Law is really what you want it lends itself easily to solo practitioners.

Again, I really wish the best for you, but if you want this situation to change you got to make it happen. Volunteering 50 hours a week is not going to lead you to what you want

Good luck.

CA Law Dean

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yes . . . law school is intentionally challenging.
    • View Profile
    • Email
I agree with the recommendations suggested here. I would also add that it is likely that there is a lawyer-referral program through your local bar association that can be a lead for new paying clients and the family law court is likely to maintain a list of court appointed advocates for minors and seniors. This is also paying work, even if it isn't necessarily steady work. Each of these steps moves you closer to either establishing your own practice or having the experience to catch the eye of a family law firm in need of an associate with some experience.

A simple strategy that I have recommended (successfully) to new lawyers who have identified a specialty practice area such as you have, is to set up meetings with every one of your law school classmates (assuming that you have remained in proximity to your law school) who have started practice in areas other than family law. Your crim law, immigration law, corporate law colleagues need to refer their family law cases somewhere . . . Become their go-to family law referral. Along the way, start your own referral list of non family law attorneys to send your referrals to . . . quid pro quo. My recommendation is that you should be spending a minimum of 4-6 hours every week in these type of practice development/marketing activities . . . not just now, but throughout your entire career. That is how you build a sustainable practice, whether you are a solo or partner in a big firm.
Monterey College of Law
www.montereylaw.edu